X-2 sold now in a Supra Launch and ha... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » X-2 sold now in a Supra Launch and have questions « Previous Next »
By jayp (jayp) on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well it broke my heart to see it go but the boat in my profile pic has a new owner. I should take that pic down. I was going in on the boat with a friend and thier domestic situation forced them to get out of the boat. I chose not to take over 100% ownership. I could have swung it financially but it was a burden I did not want to take on alone. Plus I don't have a tow vehicle or anyplace to store the boat.

I am now splitting the payments on a 1999 Supra Launch. Going from a V-drive to a DD is a little hard but I have ridden behind the boat and have no issues with the wake. It needs some work to get it up to shape but nothing I can't do myself.

My questions are:

Not familiar with wakeplates. Where should it be for a more vertical wake?

What Supra boats have the same hull?

Any tricks on getting the best wake out of this boat?

I am still in mourning at the loss of the X-2 but look forward to riding behind the Launch regularly. It was the second best wake "in my opinion" that I have ridden behind and that includes V-drives. The X-2 being my favorite so far. My third favorite wake was an older DD Nautique. I still need to get behind a BU. So if anyone in Portland wants to give me a pull, hint hint.

I did do a search but there are not too many posts with 1999 Launch info. If the hull is the same as some of the later models then information related to weighting and using the wakeplate to shape the wake could be helpful.

Thanks

By Big Heavy (stephan) on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe that the new Supra 21v is the same hull in a V-drive configuration. Your boat throws a good wake, I've ridden one many times and they handle great and can handle a ton of ballast, you just gotta step over it all. Fill the back locker with lead, it helps as its heavy as crap and you can put a lot in the locker. Then put a 550 in the walk through and a 350 in the bow. A friend Daniel Doud has one, he can be seen on the cover of a recent Alliance mag.

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 5:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is my old set up in my 01 Launch. 700 front locker, 350 tube sac rear locker, 350 tube sac on floor in front of rear seat, and factory 400 tank. Wakeplate @ 1/2- 3/4 up. wakeplate up makes bow go up. Wakeplate up make wake peeky.

By Diggs (tyler97217) on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey jayp,
I had chatted with you awhile back and I think you guys run down at charboneau? We have a 21V and run on the willy downtown. There are a bunch of supra owners downtown. I used to own an 03' Launch DD which I think the new owner runs down at Charboneau. It is black and red. That hull has the same hull, but it was changed slightly in 04'. Chris Walker (posted above) knows this boat as good as anyone so check out what he did.
We did prettey similar.
I think we ran 650 in the front locker and filled the back ballast full and put 450lbs on either side of the engine compartment. Then the wake plate at 3/4 up should give you more steepness like you are used to. You will be able to get the wake you are looking for with this boat. Let me know if you have any questions or make it downtown this summer and you can meet up with the rest of the supra owners that hang down there.
tyler97217@yahoo.com

By jayp (jayp) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the wake. I was watching some video and the Supra wake is definately top notch. And this from a 1999 DD.

Here are the wakes from an X-2 with 1200lbs and three people, and the Supra with 1500 and three people.

Can you tell which is which? I tried to get similar shots.

Upload
Upload

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow this is fun post. Im gonna say the top pick is the Launch wake because of the little kicker at the top.

By Diggs (tyler97217) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No the bottom is the launch..... they look the same actually, but the give away is you got the launch during the cold season....hence the dry suit
Wakes look pretty similar though huh...
Glad you like it..... wait until you get behind the V. We will have to hook up with you out on the willy this year

By Andrew Park (wakemonter) on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
JAYP - what year was your x2 ? The launch will handle the weight well, in addition to ballast in the front locker we have put some under the bow cushions. Re the plate, play around and find what works best for YOU. It's a great wake coming from a direct drive, thanks for the wake comparison pics.

By Craig Strait (yosquire) on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is a difficult question when you factor in that the Wakeplate on the Supra could be set to any setting.

I'm going to have to say the top one is the Supra -- for the same reasons Chris listed... More kick at the top.

The bottom wake is the X2.

By Damned04 (damned04) on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 1:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I first thought the top one was an X2 wake cus its a little more vertical but after comparing my pic, I would say now the bottom is the x2 wake
Upload

By jayp (jayp) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 7:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The top is the Supra with the wake plate all the way up and closer to 2000lbs not 1500lbs ballast.

Andrew, the X-2 was a 2003. Same hull through 2005 and the pre pickle fork X-Star.

Diggs, The picture of me in the drysuit is from last winter on the X-2. I got the picture behind the launch last September.

I think both wakes are great. I do miss the X-2 but the Launch will look brand new when we get done with it.

(Message edited by jayp on March 21, 2006)

By Brian (noles_fan) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 8:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2004 Launch 21(DD) and ran last summer with the following setup. Stock bag and tanks full, 500lb bag in the bow, 2 V drive sacs on each side of the motor and a 300-400lb bag behind the motor. I ran the wakeplate 3/4 to all the way up.

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Diggs I should have bet you a cup of coffee on that one. Thanks for the fun jayp.

By Diggs (tyler97217) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice... to be honest, I did not even look at the wakes to hard just figured it would be easy due to knowing the weather here in Oregon. I agree good gaming

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com