Fixing Submerged Motor Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 28, 2006 » Fixing Submerged Motor « Previous Next »
By Kirk Lundell (proudcanadian) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone know what the procedure would be for fixing a submerged 350 V8, EFI. Some have told me that if it isn't started up right away after getting it out and drained, it is garbage. Is this true? If anyone can let me know some info on the subject, I would appreciate it. Thanks

By patrick mcconville (jetskiprosx) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
basically the engine will hydrolock if you don't get it started fairly qucikly after getting it out of water. I don't have any experiance with a big engine but I do with jet skis. Once at Lake Shasta my friend dove his ski under water and it didn't come back up (well not running at least) we had to rig up a system on the back of our HB to lift the ski, drain the gas tank, take out the spark plugs and flip it upside down, and the list goes on. Basically after about 6 hours of working and worrying it started up. Seeing water shoot out of where the spark plug should be is one of the weirdest thing. Do a searh on google about engine hydrolock, you should be able to find tons of great info.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have revived two "sunk" motors. Both were running within 24 hours after sinking. They were also pre computer motors so the procedure was not that complicated. Basically drain all the fluids, replace them with fresh, fog the cylinders with wd-40, clean the ignition, drain the water out of the bottom of the fuel tank. Get it fired up, a little starter fluid might help if it's stubborn but not too much as it collects in the crankcase and goes boom if too much collects. Warm the engine thoroughly to vaporize all the moisture out of the cracks and crevices. If any of the oils turn to milkshake replace them before running under a load.

that's about it

(Message edited by mikeski on November 28, 2005)

By Wes Gardner (wesgardner) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Kirk,

I think Mikeski got it right...I believe it's rust you need to worry about, in fact I've heard folks leave their engine submerged until they had time to raise it and do what Mike suggests...I also have no idea about these modern "computer" engines...obviously starter and alternator need to go to the shop

Wes

By Jay (jayc) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've helped bring an 80's MC back off the bottom of a lake and had it up and running within 6 hours and carried on using it for the rest of the season.

If you act quickly then damage will be limited. If you leave it then corrosion will attack the cylinders and bearings etc.

By JK (justridin) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kirk,

I noticed that you are in Chestermere. Call Keith at Calgary Powerboat Services for some detailed advice. I have a Mercruiser 350 EFI that was submerged for about eight hours but full of water for several days before it could be drained of water and all fluids. We changed the oil, fogged it, started it, then changed the oil again. That happened when the engine had a about 180 hours on it. It now has over 500 hours on it and has run well. A 350 V8 is rarely garbage. Parts are cheap and plenty of people can rebuild one.

By Jed Hatfield (bocephus) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
are you thinking about that SANTE on ebay?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com