Battery Question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Battery Question « Previous Next »
By Sean M (magic) on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 5:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The 4 year old Optima Blue Top in my Cal-Air is starting to die.

Any recommendations? Stick with Optima or what about a Trojan Marine Deep Cycle/Start battery or others?

I'm running the stock charging system and have 3 amps for the stereo (about 2000 watts total)

By mike (clubmyke) on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 6:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
stick with a gel cel with big systems-

By Mike (bigdeal) on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 12:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean, got a question. Are you running everything in your boat off one battery? Just curious. I'm runnin' a similar three amp setup in my boat with a blue top Optima deep cycle for the stereo system and a second blue top Optima starting battery to run the boat.

At any rate, I'd definitely recommend staying with Optimas.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 4:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean- Definately stay with the Optima! If you're running a three amp system then you should upgrade to more batteries. I run three amps and I run three batteries. I have two that are wired together to run everything including the engine. I have a third on a battery isolator just in case I kill the blue tops with the stereo system. I wouldn't run without a third backup starter battery without that much wattage sucking system in the boat.

By mike (clubmyke) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
the gel cell (optima) can be run down and recharged as many times as you want with no damage...

with acid type batteries you are lucky if you can do that 3-4 times before the battery goes bad

By Sean M (magic) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the replies! I think that I'll get an other Blue Top for the boat. I've had a back burner project of installing an isolator too. Looks like I need to finally get around to do that with an additional battery or two.

By mike (clubmyke) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 9:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
forgot to mention the perko switch-can use 2 batteries at the same time

By Sean M (magic) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike, I have a Hellroaring isolator that I'm going to use. I looked at the Perkos and like how simple they are to use, but want the protection (complete isolation between batteries and alternator protection) plus the micro switch provided by the Hellroarning isolator.

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did the hellroaring isolator setup last year, works great. I'd use gelcel batteries because they don't have lead plates inside that can crack and short when you hit double ups. That's one reason why conventional batteries don't last very long in wakeboard boats. Mine are up front (DD) I'm sure that makes them more likely to failure from shock.
Here are pics of my install http://www.epicmarine.com\how_to.htm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com