1st Winterization on X-10, Drain Q... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » 1st Winterization on X-10, Drain Questons « Previous Next »
By jaspav (pav) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 6:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have winterized my previous boats and had no problems, but this is my first year with the X-10 (2001 model) I have never had a boat with ballasts & showers & such.

Just a couple of questions:

How many engine drain plugs? (Where)

Any draining required on ballast or showers? (where)

Any secret hard to find drain plugs that will bite me next summer?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Pav

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pav,

I let a mechanic do my old 2001 X-10 when I first got it and they still screwed up the ballast. There are three plastic valves that contol the water flow for each ballast tank. Make sure you get all the water out of these valves or they will crack and sink your boat in the spring! Talking from experience, when these babies crack it's like having three holes in your boat, my pump could barely keep up with the amount of water that was coming into the boat. It was kind of funny, I think my boat drained when we got it out for a good 30 minutes or so.

You have to winterize your shower, and if you have a heater, you need to make sure your heater core under the dash of the boat is also taken care of. $300 dollars is about what it cost me to winterized my boat, includes oil and tranny change. That way if something is screwed up the dealer or Mechanic is on the hook for damages.

By jaspav (pav) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 6:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I took out the plug with the knock sensor and the plug that goes to the hot water shower. Are these the only two block drains?

I also turned the three ballast knobs on the drivers side very back of the boat, and water poured out of the three holes in the back bottom of the boat. Anything else?

Pav

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 6:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This should tell you all you need to know...if you still have questions let me know.

http://www.mymastercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pav, I'm not going to tell you how to winterized as I don't want to be blamed if something goes wrong. You need to do way more than just pull a couple of plugs out for your block though.

As for the ballast, the dealer that winterized my system for the past couple of years blew air throught the system and took off all the caps on all the pumps and valves. Total cost of not winterizing properly is going to be astronomical compared to having it done...

By jaspav (pav) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Zedz

I really just want the essentials. My boat is stored in our boathouse (dry), and I use it almost year round. I might go a 4-6 weeks without using it (mainly Jan - Feb), but that is the most. I ride from March to December, more in the summer obviously. Im not going to completely winterize my boat after every winter usage, but I do want to make sure the block and pumps dont freeze just in case we have a cold few days in a row like we have had recently.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 10:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
jaspav,

No problem...join up.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 1:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
zedz....what did you mean, "join up"? what are you referring to? i am in a similar situation.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Join the forum over there...all questions are answered usually the same day...but always within 24 hours. We'll help you out whenever we can. We also sell all the "By Design" parts at a link found on the top left of the home page. Here is the registration link.

http://www.mymastercraft.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register&sid=ac6539a8968e065e0dd570d324ea5078

By cdm (cdm) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In Atlanta? I don't think you need to worry about anything.. But with that being said.. If it gets cold put an electric blanket over the engine and call it good! You could invest in one of these to run the blanet and are a great investment. Your into investments right? This should be right us your alley. If I could only be so lucky to never winterize!! Have Fun. Buy this thing.. you will not be disappointed. regardless of the blanket idea! better to be safe than sorry. Happy Holidays... Put it on your Holiday List!!!

By cdm (cdm) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
oops got to excited.... lol... check it out!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=AUTO&pid=02871477000

By jaspav (pav) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 6:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cdm, just curious, why the Portable Powerpack, Compressor, Inverter, Jumpstarter? I clicked on the link and that is what it brought up. I had considered the electric blanket, but I wondered about fire hazards, I have heard of them catching on fire. Plus I still have the ballast and heater to consider freezing. Im considering buying a decent heater for the whole boathouse, because the jetski is in there also. When the low outside temp hit in the low 20's for 3 days in a row, the temp in the boathouse got down to 34 degrees the third morning. Its supposed to hit 17 degrees this Sunday here, thats nasty! How do you northerners stand it? Im ready to move further south.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com