Composite Props Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Composite Props « Previous Next »
By sean tribe (tribal) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 6:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone tried one of these composite props
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4510887074
They say they are stiffer than aluminum but explode on impact to protect your drive.Anyone with any experience,comments?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 6:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks like they're for I/O's/outboards. "Explode on impact" ....no thanks. I'll take a ding in the prop over an exploding one.

By sean tribe (tribal) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 6:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Uh,yeah I own a I/O.And I'm not talking about little dings I'm talking about serious impact.I/O props already come with a rubber hub that is supposed to fail on impact before the drive.This just seem's to be another idea.At $50 they're pretty cheap to replace and I can get a little different pitch than is normally available as well as 4 blade rather than 3.So anyways I'm interested in trying one, just looking for someone else who has and their comments.

By Mike O'Callaghan (greenpinky) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean, we had an I/O Bayliner before we bought our Moomba, and we were using a similiar composite prop on it, but was made from a swedish company called Propulse (http://www.propulse.se

The prop was amazing. In the early parts of the season, we would change the pitch up to 21 or so for top speed, and during boarding season, we'd have it cranked right down to about 17 (to stay on plane better at low speeds with more weight in the boat).

Adam, the prop doesn't explode on impact. The fins will break off, so as not to damage your drive, and can be replaced at about $20/ea. You can even replace them with it still on the boat in the water.

Man, I sound like I work for the company or something. I was just really impressed with it. Decide for yourself though.

By sean tribe (tribal) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 7:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow adjustable pitch,those are interesting.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 7:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks like I'm way off. It was early; didn't know you had an I/O.

By Scott (buttskimmer) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 3:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think there is a horsepower limit to those props. If you exceed the limits, the blades need replacing alot more often.
~S~

By Scott (magicr) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I owned a 93 Bayliner outboard 120 horse with a Comp brand 4 blade composite prop. I hit a submerged log with it sheared one one blade clear off and mangled one other one. I am certain it saved me from more serious damage if I would of had a metal prop on. I did'nt notice any apreciable difference compared to aluminum props, which I normally used.

By Jason (jorellz) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey there,
I have had a composite prop on my IO for 2 years and for the cost of an aluminum you can get the prop and extra blades. only twice have we hit logs houseboating and what would have been a long down time...turned out to be a limp to shore...5 min and I was back boarding again! Highly recommend them.

By alan plotz (alanp) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i had one on my i/o and it was awesome. granted it chipped easy when you hit stuff but it was still drivable and no vibration was noticable since it ws so light. i would recommend one if you didnt have a bunch of money for a prop

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com