which amp? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » which amp? « Previous Next »
By biz (sherminator) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 7:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
im back for more amp advice, ive got a set of fusion 3 ways for the tower, and there is a good probibiity there will be a single 12inch sub going in, ive got it down to 3 amps, first is the cheapest, kicker 350.4, the second is a jl 300.4, is can get a good price on this and the stereo dude said it was under rated, and would probably kick out close to 100rms per. the last choice is an alpine 540.4, the most expensive out of the lot, but proven 100rms. i dont even know for sure what these speakers are needing in rms, but which do you guys think is the best recomendation, forget the price thing, i just want my expensive speakers to reach what they are made to do...any help appreciated

By Wakeman (vern) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 8:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, 100wts RMS will be plenty. The reason is that you can bridge your amp and at least double your power. The two most single importnat components to a sterio are your headunit and your amplifier. I would recommend getting the best one possible if you can swing it. $400 subs don't sound good on a $100 amp. The best one out there sounds like the Alpine, I would consider that one. Go to an audio store and ask them to hear the amp with the subs you have. Ususally they can do that if they have both components.

By mike (clubmyke) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i would go with jl...

they are very underrated (power) and incredible build/sound quality..they also have regulated power supplies(same output no matter what the voltage is at...very desireable in a mobile enviorment). the 300/4 can also be briged into 150/2.

i have jl 300/4's in my boat(3 of them with all image dynamic seperates and eclipse balanced head unit) and in my car setup ( eclipse balanced unit, dynaudio seperates and image id subs)..

it is a state of the art amp, do do better you will have to go into tubes (butler, tube driver) or very high end solid state ( brax, addison etc..)

the alpine and the kicker are "good" amps...the jl is "GREAT" !!!!!

By Mike (bigdeal) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Personally, I played with a single amp setup before I migrated to a multi-amp setup in my boat. Here's the solution I finally came up with. JL amps are great and I have one in my truck, but for the same money, I got a Kicker 600.4 to run my tower speakers and a Kicker 600.1 Class D amp to run my 12" sub. I think two good amps generate more/better sound than one great amp any day. Like I said, I'll spend the extra $$$ for the great amp for my more 'acoustically accurate' and better protected truck cab, but I'd rather not break the bank for an amp that could potentially get wet and/or take a beatin' in the crop.

By JT (aidan) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 10:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Mike, put some juice to your subs and another amp to speakers. Kicker makes great 800.4. I personally have 2 800.4's one to speakers in boat and the other to tower. Then 1200W mono amp powering 4-10's...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com