SSV winterization question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » SSV winterization question « Previous Next »
By Stanfield (stanfield) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 8:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got everything drained except for the block itself. I'm having a hard time finding the drain plugs or as the manual calls them knock sensors. Anyone point me in the right direction?

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 9:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There are two block drains -- one on each side, about an inch above where the pan bolts to the block and nearly in the middle of the block front-to-rear. You'll have to take the engine compartment side panels off to get access.

AFAIK, only the port side has a knock sensor in the drain hole. Most of the sensor is made of stamped steel; it's about 1.5" in diameter and maybe .5" deep; it also has a hex on the outer portion so you can use a socket for removal and installation. It has one wire connected to it. To disconnect, squeeze the black plastic collar that the wire goes into and pull it away from the sensor.

The drain on the starboard side just has a standard pipe plug in it with a square (or hex?) head on the end so you can get a wrench on it.

Hope this helps.

By Stanfield (stanfield) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
"You'll have to take the engine compartment side panels off to get access."

If I'd of known you could do that it would've made things much easier. Is pulling those pretty self explanitory?

Thanks, first freeze with the new boat, still learning.

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pulling the side access panels is easy. You will need to unscrew two screws on the side panel. They will be obvious and should be going into the engine mounting bracket. There will also be two smaller screws at the back that go into fiberglass.

By Bill (00prostar205v) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 5:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Be aware of the starter and solenoid when removing the knock sensor. I let the wrench make contact with a hot terminal when removing the knock sensor (same side of engine as starter). It sparked for a second and scared the sh*t out of me, but that was all. Now I just disconnect the battery before I get near the starter with any tools. Do not overtighten the port side knock sensor or starboard side plug when reinstalling. You mentioned that you drained everything else, so I'm guessing you got the exhaust manifolds, tranny cooler, and water pump.

(Message edited by 00prostar205v on November 30, 2004)

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 9:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill,

same thing happened to me. Scared the crap out of me. I second disconnecting the battery.

By good day for boating (ccraftskierfan) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 9:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good habit is to remove the battery and store it in a warm place for the winter.

By Mike oakman (milehighrider) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
a tip that i got from the dealer. make sure you double check the exhaust manifold for water, rust can build from the inside and block the opening. it is easy to overlook. use a skinny sharp object (niddle, opened paper clip, etc.) and prod into the opening. if you are close to the dealer, take it by and have them get a look. it is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com