Boat has no neutral? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Boat has no neutral? « Previous Next »
By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On my 89 Malibu Skier which is equiped with a 1:1 velvet drive transmission. For some reason I have no neutral? The prop is always spinning at a good rate? I was wondering if there is anything i should check or is it time for a rebuild? I checked the linkage and it seems fine from what i can tell. Any ideas whould be apreciated thanks
nate

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have no neutral...How do you start your engine???

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the postion of the throttle is in neurtral so the neutral safety switch thinks it is and starts.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your tranny is bad! It needs a rebuild or replacement

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it could be your throttle command. check it before the tranny. It's a minor headache.

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is the throttle command? pics or location to look please
thanks
nate

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Probably your tranny.What's your idle??

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 1:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
check your tranny cable

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 1:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What happens when you put it in reverse?

I once had a transmission that started to slip. I was trying to finish off a long weekend and was nursing it along but the slip just got worse and worse. Finally on one last wakeboard run it just kept slipping. The slipping caused the clutch plates to overheat so badly that they warped and then the slipping stopped! Unfortunately, the entire clutch pack was so jammed together that it wasn't a clutch anymore and would not disengage. Any attempt to engage reverse stalled the engine.

I suspect that your transmission is similarly damaged and will need to be rebuilt/replaced.

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have had it slip a couple times from being lown ol fluid for someone reason i have no leaks but it likes to burn the tranny fluid, I also change it about every 50 hours and it comes out pretty good which makes no sense to me. Also when I put it in reverse it does not stall just starts going into reverse its does not bang or anythign just stops then starts goin in reverse after a second. The idle of the boat is around 800

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 8:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
your throttle command is the thing in your cockpit you generally move with your righ hand to make the boat go forward of backward

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Luciano Grimblat (luchog)Country: Argentina

THis might explain the use of that term

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 9:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yup your Throttle command and also griese your cable if you haven't in a while.

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 9:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
kevin: big ed x2 doesnt seem to be from Argentina too, I guess it doesnt hurt picking up a manual from time to time.

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
O.K officially confused
Is Throttle command the term?

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Could be that they are called command but in my
circle they have always been called controls.
And apparently the companies that build them also call them throttle controls

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Marine/telemarine.asp?ID=20

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 5:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for clearing that up kevin.
Command,Controls,what's the difference he got the point.

I guess I was reading the post and wrote command and just didn't think about it twice,but controls does sound more AMERICAN!!lol

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is no difference it is very common for things to be called different things in different countries. Did not mean a thing just pointing out why he might call it something that us silly Americans might not recognize

By alan plotz (alanp) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
nate for starters i would undo the linkage(on my boat its just a matter of removing a pin) from the tranny and work the control by hand. that way you can isolate the problem to the tranny. youll look like a doofus if you take it to the dealer and they just adjust the linkage if thats only your problem.
i had mine rebuilt this spring and it cost about 700 bucks however me and friend removed the tranny and all they had to do was rebuild the unit. it isnt hard at all to remove and engine i am by no means a mechanical person at all.

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks for the tips guys, im gonna look into it more this weekend.. did you use a engine hoist to get the tranny out or is a couple of guys enough to remove it?

By alan plotz (alanp) on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i actually had access to a fork lift. i was planning to rent a cherry picker or was toying with the idea of parking the boat under a tree and using a come along over a branch. i dont know what a block weighs but you would probably need more than a couple guys. actually i dont know if you could do it that way. just rent a cherry picker that way you can have the engine up in the air and have acess to the tranny. it will save alot of headache that way.

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
sounds like a good idea, thanks for the tips.
nate

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
have you checked on the cables and throttle control before taking the damn thing out the boat?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com