Possible motor problems Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Possible motor problems « Previous Next »
By Rob Pitchford (rob_pitchford) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 9:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an older Malibu (1989 Sunsetter) with 680 hrs . When I purchased it this summer the mechanic said it was not the original motor (no idea when it was replaced). Compression was checked 140-145p. The boat ran good all summer but the last day out there was occasional smoke. I had a mechanic friend in the boat who said it was running rich. Took boat in to the shop for winterizing and they said the carb was in need of a rebuild and there was "blow by". He suggested that there may be possible ring or valve problems? It never smoked before the last day and it wasn't continuous but it did smell rich. Any ideas, is my motor toast?

By Mike (mikeski) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Smoke or steam? If it was cold out the choke might have been sticking? What do the plugs look like? Have you noticed a drop in oil level? A stuck choke might make the carb look sooty like it was seeing blow by. Test the compression again if there is a low reading do a leakdown on that cylinder. Listen to see if the air is going through the intake or exhaust valve. 680 hours is not that much if the oil was changed regularly.

By Rob Pitchford (rob_pitchford) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Smoke. It was cold out though. I know the plugs haven't been done for 2.5 years possibly more. There is also a misfire at a lower rpm - my firend said it was possibly my plugs, wires etc. Should I have them check the plugs etc and do another compression test?

By Derek House (munky_flip) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 1:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dude that sux. i hope its not the valves for your sake. i had to get a valve job on my boat this summer and it out me out for 2 months and set me back 800 for new valves and labor.

By Rob Pitchford (rob_pitchford) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Talked with my mechanic friend last night. He told me that it was black smoke therefore I was burning fuel not oil. He thinks it is a carb issue which makes sense. The motor ran great all summer with no smoke and compression tested good at the beginning of the summer.

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
definitely change the plugs, dont check them. You can look at them when they are out but its not worth putting them back in. My truck had a VERY BAD miss just recently that was believed to begun with bad (water-in) gas after ivan and some of the stations pumping out the bottom. Changed fuel filter, no help, changed plugs (did not look fouled) and the miss was gone. This was not only happening at idle but under power. Ive never, except on a two stroke dirt bike, seen plugs make this much difference unless they were noticeably fouled.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com