GLEN CANYON DAM OPENED UP Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » GLEN CANYON DAM OPENED UP « Previous Next »
By greg (gwake) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Guys
I just read this. Looks like the opened up the dam on powell and let some water out.

http://www.comcast.net/News/GENERAL//XML/1110_AP_Online_Regional___National__US_/9cabeaa0-346e-4ef2-8aaf-583120e287b2.html

By paul (wakeme884) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 6:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hopefully this isnt just a one time deal. maybe they will even let it fill up mead,mohave and the laughlin/needles area....

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 7:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They did this before to protect the fish habit, I saw the show about it on the Discovery channel.

"In 1996, officials flooded the canyon in an 18-day water release, although only about five of those days produced high floods."

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bad news for Powell, good news for everyone downstream...

By Bruce Banner (breadbutta) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
paul, This is an environmental thing. It appears they are learning it has no real effect, or more precisely stated that the effect of more beaches wears off quickly. Not only that but the water they are letting thru is MUCH colder than if there were no dam present, since it comes from the bottom of the reservior.
By the way, Mohave cannot vary by more than a few feet, it is a pass-thru reservoir. Laughlin/Needles is technically on Lake Havasu they are in an area where it is a river, with no pooling water.
Mead, on the other hand, needs it as does Powell. This spring we will really need a huge run-off to fill these 'Lakes'

By midwesty (midwesty) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 7:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
lets see some more snow in the mountains!!!

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 8:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a very vocal environmental movement to drain Lake Powell. The endangered species act is a tool they are trying to use to get the dam removed. Since Lake Powell traps sediment, the river below it is crystal clear and is a fantastic trout fishery. With the flood it will wash away the trout and help some endangered chub and sucker.

Sorry...I was about to launch into a rant...

By greg (gwake) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
how much does the lake drop when they open it up for extended periods of time? Is there a website where these Vocal environmental groups post their ideas? Do you think they really have a chance to have the dam removed?

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 7:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It looks like the flood dropped the Lake Levels less than 1 foot per day. That is still a lot for a lake that size.

You can read the enviro-propaganda at www.glencanyon.org.

I like a site called www.wayneswords.com for launch ramp conditions and also for lake levels. You can see the lake levels link on the toolbar on the left.

I think they have a very small chance at getting this done. It's true that the amount of power generated by the dam can come from elsewhere, so it really boils down to recreationalists vs environmentalists. The biggest worry I have is the endangered chubs in the canyon below. The spotted owl dealt a heavy blow to the logging industry - they will use the same tactic to drain the lake if they can. I think the act has been misused by enviros to get their way.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com