velvet drive Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » velvet drive « Previous Next »
By ryan (powerstroke) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 1:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
just bought a 1990 ski supreme with a velvet drive and was curious what kind of fluid it takes and how to change it? also quantity? my boat also has a transmission cooler on it. i dint see any way to drain it. also it has a 5.7l mercruiser in it and need to know how many quarts of oil and what kind of filter it takes. thanks in advance. i will be getting a manual soon. in the meantime i appreciate youir help.

(Message edited by powerstroke on November 20, 2004)

By Dave (74skier) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 2:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dextron for the velvet drive you'll need to pump the old fluid out of the dipstick. the amount of new fluid you put in should be the same as you took out.

By ryan (powerstroke) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 2:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
2 or 3

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ryan 3 is the new substitute for 2, it is fine to run either of them. the three just has more additives for newer cars.
nate

By Kvkev (kvkev) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave's idea to pump the fluid out of the dip stick is the way to go. I addition I pull the plug at the bottom end of the gearbox (output shaft end) and flush the fluid screen. The transmission cooler should be higher than the tranny so it will gravity feed all the fluid back to gearbox when cold.Thats why you always check your fluid level at operating temp. I pull the raw water hose off the input side of the transmission cooler and stick my finger in to check for trapped debris if you don't have a seawater strainer. We board on a river that has alot of small trash in it and clogged my Transmission cooler and overheated the engine. If the cooler is clogged take a coat hanger a carefully loosen the trapped debris. pull the output hose and backflush it with your garden hose.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com