Advice for selling a boat internation... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Advice for selling a boat internationally? « Previous Next »
By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a potential buyer for my boat and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for selling internationally. I have read all of the other threads about the typical scams but I have been communicating with this person via e-mail and seems serious so far. The buyer is asking normal questions and in plain english. Any advice?

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 1:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
1. Cash or cash equivelent. Have a stong preferance to wired money. It can be instantly verified. As soon as it hits, withdrawl and re-deposit into another bank.

2. Have the buyer arrange for shipping and importation. Buyer pays all fees, taxes, and duties.

3. Sign the title over only after you verify with your bank that the cash is good. Once it hits the border, you are done.

4. Take only US funds in the exact amount.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no one locally want your boat? I'm in houston, try our local website. www.gcwa.com Is this guy willing to pay a premium for it? Karl's right once the boat is across the border the deal is done.

By Nick V. (nvip9r) on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 3:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just make sure you get the cash first...there are tons of scam artists out there...like Karl says with #1. I get tons of offers for buying my equipment I had for sale and they even send a check, in which the banks tell me they are no good. I have 3 checks for 10G's that are just junk. lol...

By Mark B (wakehound) on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 8:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why bother with the stress of selling international when you should be able to find someone local?

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the info. everyone, turns out that I may not need to sell internationally afterall.

By Brit Rider (brit_rider) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 4:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just a heads up on an international scheme thats been running for a few months in the UK. The buyer will often offer the asking price straight away and then send a check or wire money - but send too much, like 50-200k's too much. Basically they then ask for a refund, you wire it back to them. they get a boat and the deal is done, but people haven't realised is they just laundered 200k for the guy in question who will also sell on the boat, thus 'cleaning' more money.

If its a UK customer jsut be vigilant. its eailty avoidable if this happens.. jsut informt he autorities and jobs done ;)

By matthew hunt (mhunt) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just sold my boat to someone out of the county this last weekend. I delivered it to the shipping yard in long beach, once there he wired the money, I had to wait around several hours until I could verify with my bank the funds were there. From what I learned (because I was pretty concerned about all the scams as well) is that most banks require verified funds in order to do a wire, and that most banks on the receiving end won't reverse the wire once it has gone through.

good luck.........

By Lars F. Haugstad (larsfh) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 3:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In general, it is a safe as long as you approach it properly. Once wired, it would take a lot to cancel and reverse the transfer. Be careful about sending the boat away without prior payment - or a security of payment. This is pretty much just common knowledge, but I would suggest selling locally if you can get a price equivalent of what's been offered abroad.

Also, I want to emphasize on the transfer of title before the boat is shipped and after the money has been received. You do not want to be liable for shipment damages. An insurance to cover this is typically no more than in the amount of $200 for a new boat, but you definitively want to avoid the paperwork involved.

Good luck with the sale.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com