Play in steering wheel ? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Play in steering wheel ? « Previous Next »
By John Boy Holmes (surfnfury65) on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 2:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 05 B52 and I have noticed that there is play in the steering wheel. I can rock it up and down back and forth. It's not huge but just wondering how much is normal. Anyone?
Board More/Work Less!
John$

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can't "rock" my steering wheel at all!

It is common for the steering to develop a little slop, as in a bit of rotation in the wheel before you actually start turning, but if the wheel moves up and down something is wrong!

You say it is an '05? Take it back and have it fixed! The last thing you want it your steering to fail!

By Brad Birlew (bradb) on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you find the play is in the universal joint of the tilt mechanism, there is nothing you can do to tighten it.
Mine had some play in it after while ('94 nautique), and I replaced it with a new one (I think you can find them if you search the web for teleflex) and it has been fine since.
B

By Chad (healing) on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
John,
Have you tried taking it apart and seeing if it was just a loose bolt screw etc? I had some play in my wheel after numerous trips under the console wiring ballast pump switches and installing a sub among other projects. Note: try not to use the steering wheel for chin ups, opps.

I took the steering wheel off then peeled back the rubber boot and found two phillips head screws that were loose. I tightened those and the problem was solved. Next time I will not use the wheel as a pull up bar. good luck

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com