Polyfill or equivilent for speakers Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Polyfill or equivilent for speakers « Previous Next »
By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 2:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What technically is the purpose of polyfill in tower speaker enclosures and how does it work.

I was told it makes he enclosure "acoustically larger" ??? Is that right?

Also, where can you get it in bulk? Everyone seems to sell it in one pound or other small increments.

By Mike (mikeski) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The polyfill in speaker boxes does is designed to dampen the wave eminating from the back of the speaker cone (inside the box). This helps to reduce internal standing waves leading to resonance. The more you dampen the internal acoustic waves (airwaves) the more the box approaches infinite baffle where the waves never return to the speaker cone, hence bigger.

Polyfill is essentially pillow stuffing. You can buy it at your local fabric store.

Here is a place that sells rolls and remnants that would work for speaker boxes:

(Message edited by mikeski on November 05, 2004)

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A pound is actually quite a bit since it's very light. You can just buy an overstuffed pillow for about $10 and you'll have enough poly for 20 speakers at least.
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.