Paint/Gel Coat? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Paint/Gel Coat? « Previous Next »
By Jeff Rutherford (jeff206) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 10:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What are my options (and costs) for repainting an older boat? Do you have to redo the gel coat or can you just paint it like a car with a few coats of clear? Also what are your estimates for the costs? I want to buy an older inboard but I don't want to rock a boat with rainbow graphics or anything like that. Thanks for any info.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
do a search on here. I've heard the autopaint thing works, but it will cheap and won't hole. You'll end up wishing you hadn't after a few years. I've read about estimates to re gel-coat form 4-6k. IMO not worth it. My suggestion work with what you have. Take the retro look and make it work. My boat was re-painted (see profile) from far away it looks fine but up close is a different story.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 10:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
sorry for the bad spelling

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff, I painted the color stripe on a previous MC. Used Dupont Imron, and it came out great and held very well, esp. since the boat sat in the water for the season.

By Mike (mikeski) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Most offshore style boats are painted and they hold up quite well. Painting boats is quite common, just not that common with wakeboard boats. Paint is less forgiving than gelcoat when it comes to scratches, buffing, etc. All Nautique graphics were painted until around 1988 or so. My 1984 looked great for 8 years and it sat on a hoist in the sun every day of it's life, at 10 years it was chalky and needed to be redone.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 2:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Use Imron or Awlgrip or equivilent marine paint and it will hold up well. To re-gelcoat a boat would be some really big bucks

By Jeff Rutherford (jeff206) on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I guess I can rock the retro look, as long as I'm behind a 2001 or something similar and not the ripple that's behind my current I/O. Thanks for the posts.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com