Q for fiberglas box builders Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Q for fiberglas box builders « Previous Next »
By Todd Chinderle (malibu36) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
question for any of you fiberglas box builders- I have some styroam mold that would be perfect for tower speaker enclosures. my question is- will the fiberglas resin eat through styrofoam or not. if it does is there something i can put over the styroam so it wont eat it

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
YES AND YES,

Try packing tape

By Jay Carter (jayc) on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 7:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It will eat it but thats the best bit as it makes it easy to remove the leftover foam.
Its called the lost foam process and I've used it to make lots of glassfibre items.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 12:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've never used polyester resin, but lotsa epoxy stuff. Agree with Grant that you're best served to carve the shape and then cover it with packing tape (maybe Saran Wrap-type stuff if the object's big enough). Lay the cloth on it, wet, lay more cloth, wet. After the layup is completely saturated, you can start sucking the excess out with paper towels, etc. Of course the VERY best way to do this (lost foam) is to vacuum bag the part with sheet latex - your part will come out very nice looking. After it's all cured, you just cut a hole in the part and start diggin out foam. Don't use solvents to melt the foam, cuz it will either leave a nasty residue inside the part, or drip through fabric holes and bring the mess outside. Bagging is just awesome.

(Message edited by toyotafreak on November 02, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com