Long-Distance Trailering: Tower Up/D... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Long-Distance Trailering: Tower Up/Down? « Previous Next »
By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We're trailering our Wakesetter from IL to Fl, and its new winter home. I have the Illusion tower, which folds forward and rests on the windshield. (Yeah Yeah I know, and my only regret on the boat purchase is the tower I chose) I'm just wondering if there are any major drawbacks to trailering with the tower up, besides the major buggage Im sure to pick up. Also does anybody experience any major damage from rock chips in the hull? Is there anything to prevent this damage?

Thanks for the help in adavnce.

Greg

By cdm (cdm) on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would trailer with the tower up regardless of the towers brand. I don't trailer with the cover on either. It will flap in the wind even when pulled tightly (secured well) and will wear away/rub the boat, not good!! Bugs getting all over your tower and lights etc are your only downfall to trailering with tower up, imo. Its cold so bugs shouldn't be that bad. I have not experienced any rock chip problems but you could get stone guards for your truck/car. Tow with an empty gas tank. It will help with gas consumption. Spare tire?

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 4:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A roll of ceran-wrap generously wrapped all over your tower will ensure no bugs or rocks on the tower and can be easily cut off upon arrival at your new destination.

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 4:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
grant ~ that's what I do.

By Patrick Adams (patrick_adams) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg

I have to agree with Grant. I had my boat shipped from Chicago to Reading, PA on a flatbed and it took quite a while to get the road grime off the vinyl. I would see how much it would cost to get it shrinked wrapped to protect it from the elements. Be sure to get it as dry as possible before they wrap it up and take the wrap off as soon as possible to avoid mildew.

Best of luck with the new place.

Patrick

By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 7:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the advice so far. I had already been warned about not trailering with a cover. I looked into shrinkwrap, but I think its more money than it's worth. I will definetly ceran-wrap tower and lights. Thats a great idea. More riding: less cleaning. Thanks for all the advice. And yes I have a spare. I'm also planning to sneek in one more run to run down the gas tank the fun way.

Greg

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 7:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg Wasson ~ I heard you should fill your gas tank up all the way and add a gas addative to make the gas last till next summer otherwise you might get condensetion in you gas tank.NOT GOOD

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I tow long distance (2 hrs+) I do 2 things:
Lay the cover in the cabin extending from the dash to the front of the vdrive lockers, secured at the back by closing the lockers on it and at the front by dropping the spare on it.
I also drop my tower down, my speakerbox is quite heavy and the tower (proflight) folds on to the back seat, it keeps the cover put & stops any gel coat stress. Bow cover is also always on for towing, it makes a big difference on boat grime & mpg.

By Kenny Powell (ghostrider_2) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 12:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
GREG, what did it cost to ship that way as I might be transfering to Maine from CA next year...

By Kenny Powell (ghostrider_2) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 12:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SORRY I ment Patrick.....

By Patrick Adams (patrick_adams) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 12:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny

It was part of my relocation package. I think I heard it was about $1500, but I could be way wrong. Hopefully your company will pick up the costs. I negotiated it up front. We were going to ship it in an enclosed carrier, but the trailer is just too close to the width of the enclosed trailer. No one wanted the liability of the damage potential. Again, if I were to do it again I would have had the boat shrink wrapped prior to shipping. The tower and speakers are easy to clean compared to vinyl!!!! I shipped it with the tower down without issue. The Correct Craft FCT folds forward onto the grab rails, so I just padded it well and strapped it down tight so it could not move. No damage - no worries. I would have rather shipped it with the tower up, but I was worried about clearance problems. Can you imagine if the tower struck a bridge!!!!

Best of luck with your relocation if it happens.

By Kenny Powell (ghostrider_2) on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 5:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'am in the Navy so it will happen.. Just deciding if I want to stay in CA where everything is just so expensive or go to Maine...The Navy will move everything but the boat so that will come out of pocket.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com