Head units Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Head units « Previous Next »
By Chris Jansen (jansen) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 6:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm planning on doing my own stereo system when my boat comes in. Could you guys give me some model#'s / brands that transom and drivers remotes will work with.

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 6:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Clarion makes the XMD-3 its the standard HU for most boats. Sony also makes a Marine HU, Both Sony and Clarion make Marine remotes for there units, IMO sony makes a better head unit and Clarion makes a better remote.
Im not sure if the Sony has a AUX imput for a MP-3 player or AUX device. If the Sony dosent have the AUX imput I would go with the Clarion

By Zack (raider40) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 6:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sony does indeed have AUX inputs on it's head units. I have a Sony MDX70 (now the MDX80) and it's the best head unit I've ever owned. It has a G-shock CD bay that it impossible to make skip. It also reads MP3 disks.

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Then I would go with the SONY, I have a 02 Air Nautique and your stuck with running the XMD3 because of location and Double Din ect, The way it mounted in at a angle the disk skips like a broken record/ That why I IPOD

By mike (clubmyke) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
went with the eclipse 8053 non marine...

has a ir remote (non wired)
incredible sound quality
ability to adjust the phasing of the speakers for incredible sub intergration
16v/8v output
rca input
built in crossover
doesnt skip

(Message edited by clubmyke on October 27, 2004)

By Flack (flackpack) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Sony MDX70 I have came with a IR wireless remote, and the Sony Wired remote also plugs in. The Head Unit also has an aux. RCA input that I use with a splitter for my Sirius satellite system and for my MP3 player. I have found I don't use the MP3 player much because the CD player is MP3 compatible, and I can fit 200+ songs on a disk, and the search function is just as easy as my MP3 player. The head unit is XM compatible with the Sony XM tuner, which is also another great feature if you don't use Sirius.

Try E Bay for some good prices on the head unit, Sony has taken them out of production, and the G Shock tray isn't in their newer models. On the boat, the tray is invaluable, I never get a skip.

By 882001 (882001) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
kenwood kdc5025

By Louis Teague (loux2) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The clarion XMD-3 is a piece of sh**. The guy at Ski World told me they have been having a lot of trouble with them. Such as noise that sounds like a ground problem but is realy the head unit itself. Mine is doing this. It is not constant so I spent hours trying to figure it out before I talked to Ski World. It makes the noise even with the engine turned off. Furthermore, if you purchase any other clarion head unit the remotes the boat came with will not work. They do not make any adaptor and don't seem to care. In my opinion clarion is a bad deal all around. This winter I am changing my head unit and remotes. Sony here I come.

By Chris Jansen (jansen) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 3:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any experience with MB Quart
http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14121

By 882001 (882001) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12518
look similar?

By Louis Teague (loux2) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 5:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hmmm... the MB Quart looks very interesting. I wonder if anyone knows anything about them?

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Rockford doesnt look like it has a AUX imput but Yes it does look the same. I had no Idea MB made a HU and it even has a Marine remote, Pretty cool the face doest look very waterproof

By Nick V. (nvip9r) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 5:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I purchased the RFX9220M by Rockford. I love it. Sounds great and plenty of power. I just bought the wired remote to run it from the drivers side. I think spec wise the MB Quart and Rockford are identical, so I just went with the little cheaper one. No problems with it yet.That's my 2 cents...

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 6:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just purchased the kenwood marine top of the line deck and its been great so far, has input for wireless and the screen changes colors which is kinda neat. I also have dunked it and it came out like a champ. I left the lid open on my cover and a roller went over the bow as i was pickin up my gf =(

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 5:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the top of the line Kenwood as well and am happy with it. It does something all the others don't. Or at least from the ones I have seen and I havn't see them all. First of all, I came from a Sony to a Kenwood. I loved my Sony! Best HU IMO. Separate control for the subs is what I like. Kenwood doesn't offer it in of their HU's. I ended up going with the Kenwood because Kenwood is in bed with Skiers Choice. I got the HU aftermarket and went with the top of the line. The HU mounts on the passenger side, and the reason I went with Kenwood is because Skiers' Choice molded a place in the dash to receive the wired remote for the Kenwood deck. I reluctantly went with Kenwood because of this but found out one thing that I liked alot. You can wire as many wired remotes to the deck as you want! Each remote requires it's own power supply instead of the deck running the remotes. And they are CHEAP! I got them for $44 each. I have three on my boat. One for the driver, one in the bow that is reachable from the outside of the boat when the boat in pulled up on shore.(And when you are under some blankets anchored off and spending the night with someone, you don't have to get up to kill the stereo.) And the third is on the transom for boarders on the swim platform, women laying out on the sun deck and swimmers in the water. They are all back lit and come on when the lights of the boat are turned on. Then of course there is the IR remote. So, you can control the system from EVERY seat in the boat. I know with Sony you can only go with two remotes and that's sacrificing the port for a cd changer or other equipment. I think, like I said I think, Clarion is the same way.

By 882001 (882001) on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 7:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Separate control for the subs is what I like. Kenwood doesn't offer it in of their HU's

thats not right. i have the x579 but the 5025 is almost the same. in the stand by mode turn lpf to on and it turns your rear into sub out, and sub vol is then in the controls. what unit you got?

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
882001- I thought the exact same thing! I need to go back and see why it's not the same to be sure I am saying this right, but from what I can remember right now is that when you do that it only eliminates the fader on the rear controls. But like I said, I am not real clear right at the moment. The Sony deck allows you to control the subs independently.

By 882001 (882001) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
what kenwood?

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 1:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
882001- I have the MPV-6022MRCC head unit.

By 882001 (882001) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
that is just last years version of mine and it should have it. is there a spot to change the crossover of the sub? hpf lpf settings?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com