Need lead in IL? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Need lead in IL? « Previous Next »
By Robert (ag4ever) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 3:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I saw this on e-bay, and figured a few people could go in together and get a bunch of lead as ballast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1268&item=3847321667&rd=1

If I understand the posting right there are 1500 bricks at average of 60 pounds each, which works out to about 90,000 pounds which works out to like $0.02/pound. That would be enough for almost all of us to get a nice chunk of lead. Heck a good businessman could probably make a fortune of just reselling the lead.

That is if it is not radio active!

BTW, I am building a medical facility in Houston that has 8 Linear Accelerators that uses this type of lead. That is one sick machine. The doors to the rooms are 4'X7' and 18" thick solid lead.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Uh, hate to burst your bubble, but those bricks are NOT "solid lead". Those bricks are "Ledite", which is a product of Atomic International (http://www.atomicinternational.com/ledite.htm)

They don't say what the composition is, but they infer that is is lead mixed with something.

A solid block of lead that weighs 50 pounds is just a little larger than the standard red brick. These blocks are pretty big and only weigh 60 pounds. I don't think they would be useful for ballast at all.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In looking at them I bet they are some form of "cmu" type brick or a "lead concrete block" for load bearing wall construction.

I just thought it was interesting that somebody is selling radiation protection on e-bay.

Also any weight is good for ballast, just some is better than others.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com