05 Sanger v215 vs 05 Supra 21V Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » 05 Sanger v215 vs 05 Supra 21V « Previous Next »
By Chris White (ccwhite) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 4:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Talking to my local dealers both boats go for 44k (both equiped the same)

Whats the opinion

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 7:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Those boats are the top two on my next boat list. Have sat in, driven, ridden both boats yet? Whats your opinion?

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 3:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are so close, I think its coming down to price/deal. But the initial price (from both decent dealers) is within 1k of each other. So I think Im going to try and start a bidding war and let them both give me the best offer they can.

BUT - if they were they same price, the wife likes the sanger dealer better, so it would be the sanger. :-)

Talk about close!

By mxwaker (mxwaker) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 9:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you talking out the door or pre tax, etc.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
out the door price.

Both boats have tower,plate,PP,racks,ballast (more in 21v), trailer - Every major component that is on one, is on the other.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
The Sanger dealer is in Houston. Won't that be a pain in the rear to go to for service versus a more local dealer??

(Message edited by wakeshoe on October 21, 2004)

By Tommy (laptom) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A plate on a Sanger?? Is that possible?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teh people at houston watersports complex are awesome. They ahve been huge supporters of grassroots events in Houston. I have a friend who just started work in their service bay

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you talking to the guys at Rinkers for the Supra? Who is your salesman?

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been down to the Houston to check out the Sanger. Cliff was top notch.

As for service - I could go to any Mercruiser dealer for engine issues. If I have major boat issues I would have to go to Houston.

Sanger does have a plate - but its not adjustable (like supras). But driving the sanger and hiting the wake, it didnt need it (and I guess that the supra doesnt really need it very much either - its good to 'fine tune' the wake).

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
From experience and other postings, I would guess your main problems would not be the engine. However, cables, electrical, etc., typically are the things that are troublesome and/or need adjustment, especially in the beginning. All things you would need to go to the dealer for. Also, your 10-20 hour service and any other service to keep your warranty valid would be dealer. I know of 5 people with new boats (all different manufacturers) this year and all 5 have been back to the dealer for followup adjustments/repairs, 10-20 hour checkups, etc., on average 5 times. Also, most times the dealer who sold you the boat gives you priority for repairs. How far is it from your place to the Houston dealer versus your place to the Supra dealer? It all translates into boat time out of water. Just a consideration.

(Message edited by wakeshoe on October 21, 2004)

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 1:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
In my experience the Sangers are pretty dialed straight from the factory. I had zero teathing problems with mine & I haven't heard that any of the other guys have had issues either.

By dj (dizzyj) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,

out of curiosity, why the 21v vs the ssv? I havent figured out where the two boats fit

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 1:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For a company with a relatively sparse dealer network, like Sanger, wouldn't it be a good idea for them to allow warranty repairs and service at the any qualified inboard shop (like some automotive extended warranties). Are you sure they don't?

None of these boats are THAT different from each other. I bet the local dealer for Correct Craft, Mastercraft, Tige, Supra, etc. could do 99.9% of the jobs the Sanger dealer would do, if not 100%. Sanger would just have to make it easy for anyone to order special Sanger-only parts (and how many of those are there, really?).

By Chavez (chavezychavez) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sanger added a Bennett Tab to their boat lineup for 2005...

Personally, I would pick the Sanger. Nothing against the Supra is a sweet ride as well.

By trace (trace) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 4:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
salmon, in my experience, dealers don't like warranty work - the mfrs pay less than their normal (ridiculously expensive) hourly rates, they don't get to mark up parts, etc. i've even experienced and heard of dealers refusing to work on their own brands if the boat wasn't originally purchased from them.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 6:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Salmon,
I agree with trace - most dealers, unless they sold the boat, don't like warranty work. In the case you suggested, even if dealers would agree to do it, they would probably require that any replaced parts, components, etc., come from Sanger which means delays in fixing the boat. Dealers doing warranty work for manufacturers they sell typically have some parts onsite.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 5:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Salmon - The Sanger dealer told me that I could get warranty work done on anything (except hull) and standard service (10, 20 hr etc) anywhere. But major items have to go to the sanger dealer.. in houston..

Sanger Dealer - 3 hours
Supra Dealer - 1.5 hours
Sanger Dealer - Great Guy - I couldnt ask for more
Supr Dealer - (South Austin Marine) Have heard nothing but good things about these guys

DJ - SSV with these options 48k+
21V/v215 44k+ -- But the SSV isnt out. I have been in several different SSVs and I love them. Its a great boat.

My original comparison started between the SSV and the v215. Here were my reasons to pick the v215.
-- v215 was a quiter boat
-- v215 seemed (I couldnt test it much) to take the rough water better
-- v215 handled better (both with empty and full ballast)
-- v215 has a 'cab forward' feel.

All of these things were minor in v215 favor. And all of them were things my wife noted that made her feel better in the boat (so I liked it).

I had thought that the 21v was going to be in the 50kish range so I hadnt even looked at it until I talked to the dealer and he mentioned the price. I havn't been in the 21v yet, but I am working on that.

I have looked at lots of boats so far and if I could buy today, it would be a v215.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
I don't think you can go wrong on either choice. I would suggest you call around to your most convenient dealers and talk directly to their service department, verifying that they will do Sanger warranty work and there would not be any undue delays in having them do it. It sounds like you may have been getting the Sanger info from the Sanger salesguy, not his service manager. Sometimes (heaven forbid), salesguys will say anything to make a sale.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 7:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yep - heaven forbid :-)

By Dave (schmo) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 8:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Say it isn't so! Stretching the truth and flat out lying never happens in the sales industry. Really!

By trace (trace) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris, talk to Hunter at South Austin Marine. great place to do business.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Already talking to him. Hes working up a real quote for me and arranging the test ride behind the 21V.

To bad you don't have the avatar here Trace :-)

By trace (trace) on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 6:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
haha. i like the simplicity of this board too, though.

i think you will really like the 21V. i have no idea why Supra hasn't been building that boat for the last decade. it rides on the classic Launch hull, which is deeper than the 22SSV. this hull throws one of the best wakes around in a DD, so i can only imagine the V is that much better. i'm itching to get a ride in one, and if i were in the market for a new boat, it would be on the top of my list.

something i really like about the Supras is the playpen bow with the HUGE storage and ballast area underneath and flip-up seat backs. this is a really functional design. i think they've added the seat back(s) to the wraparound area too for 05.

i rode and drove a new 24SSV all last wknd too, and it is an amazing boat as well. doesn't seem like a 24 in any way except room inside & storage.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 12:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
One thing I would recommend. Whatever boat you get, upgrade to a tandem axle trailer if it is not standard. Since it appears you will be towing some distances, the tandem is by far safer (both to you and your boat) than a single axle trailer. I am currently working thru issues with a single axle trailer towing it without the boat. Had I had an option to upgrade to a tandem axle trailer, I definitely would have.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 4:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
tks for that input wakeshoe - I hadnt thought of that.

But the only time Ill be towing is going to/from 360 evemts amd my dealer. The rest of the time I hope to keep the boat on lake Dunlop here in N.B.

By Micah (zboomer) on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Supra's come standard with Tandem trailer, FWIW.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why do you gotta turn this into a flame thread micah! just stop the hate pal :-) j/k

Of course Ill tow the boat up to the secret spot to give you and the family a tow :-)

By Micah (zboomer) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 8:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm waiting dude... I'd love to go out a time or two without having to get the boat ready, and put away afterward, heheh.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
just loan me 30K and the good times are yours to have :-)

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/196977.html?1098811212

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 1:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think that guy has a bad engine or something. But I could have a Mercruiser engine serviced at any dealer, not just where I bought it at.

By Larry (larry6) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris I donít have much experience with the Supra either only been in one, but I can tell you that the 215 is a nice ride. My sister purchased one this year and I was really surprised how well this boat performed. I donít think you will be disappointed at all if you went with the 215. Good luck with your purchase and post some picks when you get it...

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 1:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
the disturbing part is Mercruiser's response that burning 1 qt of oil for every 5-15 hours operation at WOT is normal. I have seen many complaints about Mercruiser engines, none about Indmar. Is there an option to choose something other than a Mercruiser in the Sanger?

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 4:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nope...

But do you think that is the standard response? Of all the times I have had to deal with any kind of customer support/claim/issue I have never run into something that was just such bald faced B.S.

So when I run into things like this (especially on the internet and from people I don't know) then i tend to doubt it from the start

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 4:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
BUT - the guy that started the thread is not a one-time poster.. AND he is a sanger owner... hmm

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 1:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
Ah, grasshopper, you've learned well!! Remember your beginning days of the $25K budget (see below)? Now that you are really hooked, you are a true wakeboarder/boater. Buy soon or you will come under the spell of the $50K - $60K boats!!! The attraction is irresistable, kind of like Icarus flying too close to the sun.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 4:53 pm:

The last link - Moomba Outback is NOT a V-drive (you can see the engine compartment in the middle of the boat - a V-drive engine is in the rear of the boat). You can get a new Moomba Mobius LSV for around 32K - check with Owen at South Austin Marine.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 5:17 pm:

I have talked with owen (I have probably talked with every dealer in a 300 mile radius) - but I am trying to keep to a 25k budget

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 6:18 am:

THe Moomba in the first link would be my choice of the four links, but I'm partial to Moombas. I do agree with Kyle that you might want to look back to 1998 boats and see what else is out there. I would think you could find a v-drive for the price range you are looking. Good luck.

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 6:28 am:

Look at Sport Nautiques, Super Sport Nautiques, Mastercraft Maristar (I think?), and Sangers. I think all three mentioned would be better choices and you should be able to find them without any problem.

By Mike Martin (ichoop) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 9:32 am:

Check out this boat, it is super clean and has low hours.

http://flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=6252

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:43 am:

I have drooled over that boat, but it is just outside my price range.

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:18 am:

You might try offering the 25K and see if the owner would bite. $2K difference isn't that much.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

Do you mind loaning me that 2k 'isnt much' difference?

By Mike Martin (ichoop) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 1:33 pm:

I know for a fact that he will take $26k. If you want it that much you can come up will another grand. Its only money, right?

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 2:08 pm:

HA... Yep, I keep telling the wife that, but she see's it as the more $$$ in my boat is less $$$ into her shoe collection

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 4:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
But master I have progressed... I got the wife addicted and now she too wants to buy boat :-)

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 4:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
And that, grasshopper is why you are now a master!!!

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Im heading out to try out the new 21v in a couple of weeks...

Lets hope my wallet can afford it

By Scott (buttskimmer) on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is funny - when I was looking for a new boat this time last year - I had only "no way I am buying that" ideas. One was a Merc. Its nice to see that my friends that have been around boats for a long time already knew this - by the way - I bought a SSV - glad I did.
P.S. I do custom add ons like ss tanks, tower speaker systems. Never do I repeat a design - you will own one of kind.
Check out www.gcwa.com
~S~

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 4:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my boat is alost twelve yrs old with a mercruiser in it and we have had absolutly nothing wrong in the 4 yrs we have owned the boat

By Gary Haavisto (sanger215guy) on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris, I own a Sanger V215 and my partner owns the SSV, The motor issues are all about price. the 350 merc comes in the V215 and the black scorpion motor is the upgrade, adds all of 1 mile an hour to your boat, if your not barefooting scratch the black scorpion (saves 2500 dollars). The sanger is mutch smother than the Supra and no V-drive handles like the Sanger. Thats the bottom line. Seating to me is nicer. Yes the weight is less but it dosent need it. I opted to forget the rear hard tanks and installed sacs my self ($400 dollars total) saved me another 1200 and change. I have and extra 200 lb in the rear and the wake is huge. Both are great go with your gut. Sanger is still the small mom and pop shop as it started out to be.

The day I picked it up...

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 7:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Gary... Sanger is the best deal on the market. I dont know about the 44k though I paid less for my 05 fully loaded, trpile ballast etc, etc, etc. Plus Rich at Marine Center (916)631-8666 here is Sacramento has made sure I was taking care to go straight to the water when he delivered her to my house!

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 7:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

By Gary Haavisto (sanger215guy) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
that last picture sucked, Here is a better one. Just to clarify on the rear tanks. They hold 200 lb. more than the stock rear hard tanks. I am currently takling with Get High Sports on having some larger ones made. My total weight is 400 lb. in the front and 900lb in the rear. I have also put on the winter list the hydralic adjustment kit for the rear plate. should also fine tune the wake even more.
A day at lake Hogan.

By Gary Haavisto (sanger215guy) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 7:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny, beautiful boat. I like the color combo. Where do you frequent. I am looking in the spring to get a reqular Sanger day organised for the surounding area's. I am in Brentwood on the Delta but like to be at the lake's more than the yuck of the Delta. Let me know if you would be interested in a Sanger Fest. Oh and Chris, another nice thing about Sanger you get a ton of swag as a thank you gift.

(Message edited by Sanger215guy on November 11, 2004)

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 8:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
right now I ride at sac river with folsom lake so low. I will ride folsom till it gets to packed then go to bullards bar of lake melones with melones normally being like warm water and not packed during summer months. havent been down to the delta yet, heard it was a little warmer than up here (water temp). would love a sanger party.

By Micah (zboomer) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think between these two boats, it boils down to what type of boat you want also, a 'normal' hull like the Sanger, or an extremely deep hull like the 21V.

The 21V is the titatic compared to any other 21-footer I've seen. If that's your gig, it's your boat. It's much deeper than the Sanger hull.

By Douglas Lowe (load) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I mostly ride the Delta due to it's proximity but like the lakes also. Would love a Sanger Party also since I have a new boat.

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put my rack on the lower bar and rotated them up a little now its so much easier to get the boards off and still have perfect visablity..

By Whit (whit) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
All things being equal--one has an Indmar and one has a MercCruiser. If it was my money--I'd go for the boat with the Indmar.

By Chavez (chavezychavez) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 1:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So... to put it simply, you would give up the space, handling, rough water smoothness & better (OPINION!) wake because of a perceived notion that one 350 long block from GM is somehow better than another 350 long block from GM?

I think one would be better off just getting the extended warranty and enjoying the pluses involved with this rig.

Did anyone else see the other post about TBC? Entirely new service department there! Sweet!

By Micah (zboomer) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you saying the Sanger 215 has more "space" than a Supra 21V? Man, have you seen a 21V in person? You could probably fit a Sanger inside it. It's like a foot deeper.

By SupraSteve (suprasteve) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 3:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

Supra 21v aka.."The Lounge"

The Lounge in the water

not that theirs a wrong choice, theirs just a better choice!!!!!!!

By SupraSteve (suprasteve) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 4:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does a sanger have "oh sh*t handles" on the tower? Does a sanger have swiveling wakeboard racks?? Does a sanger have chromed out cup-holders?? Does a sanger have more storage space than what 13 passengers could truly fill? Does a sanger come w/ trailer included?

Supra 21v = all the above

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 5:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
steve yes the sanger has oh on the tower NO if you need those you should'nt be on the water, chrome cup holders ya what ever! look at the threads for people paying 20 bucks each to replace after a season, size they are about the same, and yes it came with a tandom trailor!!
each person will like each differently thats why there are more than one company making these boats! after riding in each I like the wake and rough water handling better, but thats me. If I blind folded you and you rode in each you probably might be able to tell the difference with Sanger being a tad smoother. most people couldnt and dont care to! So lets not bash and try to make yourself fell good about your purchase...mmmm someone having second thoughts!!!!

110% SANGER CUSTOMERS SATISFIED!

By Gary Haavisto (sanger215guy) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay lets see, Supra 1 year warranty on the indmar, Sanger 3 year on my mercruiser. Yes life on the hull and 5 years on the upholstery. Who has the most authorised service centers? Mercruiser. Ya know what both engines start and run they both perform great, as long as its a gm core who cares. Me personally I don't like the nose bleed I get being in a boat that far off the water.

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think it's great that Supra put so much freeboard on the 21V. I think there should definitely be variety but I've often wondered why nobody built a regular-sized (length and beam) wakeboard boat with a huge freeboard...one that you can weight the holy hell out of, without taking on water, left and right. Am I crazy to desire a boat in which you could throw 6000 lbs. of ballast and a big block, without swamping it on a bass boat wake? OK, maybe I'm crazy. ...but am I that crazy?

By Micah (zboomer) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary, wrong on the Indmar warranty in a Supra, it's 3 yrs standard, and you can go above that if you buy extended.

Surely you're not insinuating a Mercruiser inboard is superior to an Indmar? Search this board and get some perspective.

By NAW (ripr) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary-Indmar has a 3 year warranty on their engines.

Salmon Tacos-No doubt the freeboard on the Launch21 and 21V is great. One of the big reasons I went with the 21 over the SSV.

You probably can't go wrong with either boat. It will probably come down to which dealer you feel will service you better after the sale and which boat you liked better...AFTER test riding/driving.

By Micah (zboomer) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The huge freeboard on the 21V is a love it, hate it thing to me. It's nice being so secure and up there, but it also feels like your driving an ocean liner.

All a trade off, and what you like. I definitely like the way my SSV drives over the 21V, but I think it would be damn near impossible to get water over the bow of a 21V, and I'd hate to do a belly flop off the side of one! lol

By trace (trace) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 6:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

...it's great that Supra put so much freeboard on the 21V.

while i wholeheartedly agree, AFAIK Supra has been making this exact hull since about '93! that's why i said this:

quote:

i have no idea why Supra hasn't been building that boat for the last decade.

:-)

By SupraSteve (suprasteve) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 7:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
like I said in my 1st post on this thread..."there's not a wrong choice, there's just a better choice" and IN MY OPINION i made the better choice!!!

The Lounge is now open for Biz-naaaass!!!

By Chavez (chavezychavez) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes I have been in and out of the 21V, as well as it's siblings the SSV and SS

The Sanger 215 has plenty of freeboard. Do not confuse it with it's younger brother.

The Sanger 215 has tons of storage space. It also has tons of space for occupants. It comes with a trailer (if you can find one without a trlr let me know) - I have yet to see one on a single-axle trailer.

Swivel racks are a gimmick and one more thing to break. That being said, I wish Sanger would use someone other than Pro-Flight as OEM for towers/accessories.

All in all, I really really like the Supra line across the board. Skiers Choice makes some sweet stuff, no doubt. One of my favorite boats out there is the Launch SS because of its 'best of both worlds' capabilities. The SSV is also a slick ride - definitely one of my favorites in design/quality.

BUT

Given the choice between the two, I am going with Sanger V215. Honestly, given the choice between most of the MFG's comparable products, and I still go with Sanger V215. So far, it's the best wake I have ridden. There are other boat whores out there (worse than myself) that will tell you the same. Also, I have very little to complain about with MERC. Having owned plenty of boats throughout the years with all but one containing a MERC product, I can tell you that problems were at a minimum.

So in short: two great products here, with my preference being the V215.

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 3:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well put Chavez.....

By WakeShoe (wakeshoe) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 4:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well put SupraSteve.....

By Stanfield (stanfield) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't think swivel racks are a gimmick at all. I wish my SSV had them.

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 6:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The swivel racks are real! They are industrial not just an afterthought. Look good too.

By Gary Haavisto (sanger215guy) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 7:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay through all of our chest pounding about or boat of choice have we helped Chris White with which is better. NO.. Chris bottom line is both are great boats and you will love whatever you choose. Swivel racks or dico balls, you can outfit it how you want. Drive them both and if you can take a set behind each. Look at the pocket book and go with what makes the most sense to you. honestly you can't go wrong with either. (I still like sanger though)

(Message edited by Sanger215guy on November 12, 2004)

By midwesty (midwesty) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
personally.....i would choose a supra over a sanger any day.....not because of the wake but the fit and finish on a supra is much better...but then again that is only my opinion

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 8:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris - Something big to think about! If you pro weight your new boat either boat will need 1000+lbs in the rear - thats the easy part, but what about the front 1000lbs. The 21V factory ballast is 600 front and 2x250 rear(1100lbs). Your Supra dealer can get you the Gravity Games Bags that take 10 min to swap out and go 1000 front and 2x600 rear (2200). The 21V's front basement has playpen seating so you never have to step over a bag again! All the bags are hidden and out of the way and your friends will be sitting on nice padded seats instead of cold fat sacs. This is one of the best features about the Supra 21V. Good Luck

By chuck j (wake_eater) on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 8:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah, i have a 04 ssv & the playpen is one of the nicest things about the boat. i had a 03 launch ss but my wife got tired of stepping over fatsacks in the back. (it also had a playpen, but a 400lb hard tank under the rear seat so u had to use sacks to load the boat down) with the ssv i have the gg bags and can load the boat with @ 2200lbs WITHOUT A FATSACK IN SIGHT! plus the ladies like to ride in the playpen. i'm in tn & have never seen a sanger, but i would put my ssv against any boat out there. i think nautique edges it out because of the length of warranty but its a smaller boat. supras are incredible boats! if you decide to go that route you wont regret it!

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 7:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been in both boats and they are equally great.

Funny thing here - the wife felt that the sanger dealer was the most 'trustworthy' so guess what we are getting :-)

After talking with both dealers back and forth, there is only one option that I could not get on the Sanger that comes on the 21V. The driver booster seat. Everything else (playpen, Wakeplate, swivel racks etc) can be added into the Sanger and still keep its cost close to the 21v.

In my testing, v215 handled amazingly better than the 21v. 21v had a more... comanding feel from the freeboard. But I did notice some build flaws in the dashboard of the 21v.

As for my favorite option.... swivel racks by far. They are a major improvment. If I had to choose between Tower Speakers and swivel racks it would be tough.

Garry/Kenny - did you guys get your tower speakers from the same place? I love the flame job on the speakers. Was that a local or factory job?

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 8:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris;
My boat was actually on display at the pleasanton boat show, The box was painted by the manufacture. I will get the company name for you. You will not be disapointed in your Sanger purchase. The 215 is a rare find in the v-drive world. While all the manufactures build great boats the handeling of the 215 sets it apart. I am told that Sanger is now offering the booster seat. I also think you wil find that the 215 is one of the most solid boats in rough water.

Kenny; I want to talk to you about your flame dye job, it looks great and I want to copy

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 8:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh ya and about the oil burning in 5-15 hours, I have been in Scott's boat and it runs like a champ. His case may be unusual, I have not heard of that and I did ask about it and Mercruiser says it sould be within 20 - 40 hours depending on your engine strain. Not much diffrent than any of the other chevy motor that are in my cars. I have 105 hour on my 215 and have not had to add any oil between regular changes.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Would that be Pleasanton Texas? Because california is quite a long commute for a boat show.

By Mark B (wakehound) on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris-
You really don't need the booster seat. The boat only has 16 degrees of bow rise at take off.

I love my 215

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mark
I see yor a local, look for the Sanger gathering in the future. I hope to get all representation of the Sanger line up to attend.

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 12:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry I have been in Reno for a few days

Chris the dealorship did the speaker box by liquid trends. go woth the speaker box vise the fancy racks. I put my racks on the lower bar of the tower recently and rotated them up slightly and it is easy to get boards on and off. I agree with mark you dont need a seat booster unless you are short. I am 5'9 and have no problem with 6 people and full ballast.

Gary Its not hard. PM me and I can tell you what is involved. I recently changed out the the litle black knob on the throttle, and replaced the interior speaker grills and with my own design (painted). Finally put a sick boat alarm on the had pin swithches and a proximity sensor!(TRUST KNOWONE!) and over x-mas I will be making a custom holder for my new NOMAD mp-3 player. I still have a few other ideas in the works also (swival seat with built in heater?)..

By Mark B (wakehound) on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary-
I think there was one a year or two ago at Orwood, with Sanger organizing it. Are you trying to get something like this going with the factory, or just an informal thing?

Mark
/ThreadJack off

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Right now it is just informal, when it gets a little more suitable weather for the families I hope to get ahold of a few people in the Sanger family and see if it can become something bigger. there was one at Orwood and it was a great Idea but I felt a bad location. Orwood is great but the ramp was such a mess that day.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny -
"go woth the speaker box vise the fancy racks. I put my racks on the lower bar of the tower recently and rotated them up slightly and it is easy to get boards on and off."

I don't understand this. Are you talking about speakers or board racks?

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
talking about the racks by putting them on the lower bar you dont even have to worry bout going overboard. I just think its silly to have boardson top of the tower making it not very user friendly! Mine were on the middle bar.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 6:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Didnt they get in your line of sight when driving the boat? A friend of mine has a SSV with 4 racks (1 upper, 1 lower on each side) and the lower racks obscure quite a bit of your sight line to the driver side (starbord?) of the boat.

Also, My local sanger dealer said that he can get an 05 v215 w/ swivel racks. Its prolly just a local OEM change, but after using the swivel racks on the 21v those are one of those 'how do you live without it' options.

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 8:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny
I also have some additions going into the boat for next summer. I will send you some pic. when completed. Just alittle bling.

Chris;
you can add anything and everything under the sun. My buddy has the V230, and has a similar box to mine but is a 6 speaker and he added the drop down 1.5 inch LCD screen. I would go with the bigger box it looks better (IMO) when it fill out the rack. If you have an extra $500 add the hydraulic wake plate it makes a diffrence in the wake.

By Stephen Hiltscher (stephan) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Forget what everyone else has said about testing & picking the one that serves you best. that's all a bunch of horse crap. You need to do whaat your wife tells you or the rest of your life will suck eternally!!

"Yes dear, here's the checkbook, no I don't want my name on the title, it's all yours. yes dear I think purple is great too, hearts(?), yeah why not...balls, no, no, they are long gone, I can thank you for that honey..."

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 4:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
unless you looked up and I mean I mean up I couldnt see the boards at all while driving! instead of the racks being at almost a 90 degree angle I rotated them up to about 120-130 degree angle. Its great cause now my wife can get her own board down and doesnt even worry bout going overboard.

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 4:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary please keep me informed of the party as I will be there. you will get to meet a real life crash dummie (ME , an experienced leader for the search party for NEMO!

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 4:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
gary maybe melones which has a nice ramp, don pedroor if its early enough in the year folsom?

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 9:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny,
I will hit you up for sure and we (along with a few other's) will corridinate sump-in. HOpe spring hurries up.

By Brandon (ripvanbl) on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey, I want in on the Sanger Party! :-). Just bought an '05 v215 and would love to meet up with more owners. Don't let this die, because I think it'd be good times.

Chris, I hope you're liking your choice (I think I read it right that you had gotten a v215, right?). Do you have any pics? Here is mine.
My 05 v215

(Message edited by ripvanbl on December 10, 2004)

(Message edited by ripvanbl on December 10, 2004)

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 1:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary I spoke with Rich Marks today and he said he will give Scott Pelaton a jingle when we have a better time frame so that maybe we can get some old school sanger pickle fork boats out there also!

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 4:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny, I also have Scott's number and planned on giving him a call when a time frqam is established. I am trying to get a couple of my drag boat buds to bring up a blown and injected hydro and a shovel nose for some cool water running. I am also looking to get some of the old skool vintage Sangers out on the water. And of course all of the new skool bling of the wake'ers.
Hey if you get time look at the SBB thread on find a third/be a third and check out what we have started for the riders.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 8:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I dont have it yet - and its not looking like im going to be able to do it this year :-( So another year of begging rides for me.

But you never know, I may win the lottery or Santa is good to me.

But, I am getting a sanger :-)

As for the party... Have it in Texas and expand the Sanger market :-)

By Hunter McDonald (supraboard) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 6:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is good to see all the commentary about these two lines. Both products are going to do well, sorry to hear you won't be getting a boat this year. Curious as to what I might have done that would not have been "trustworthy". Hope to see you guys at the 360 party for the boat show.

By Chris White (ccwhite) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 9:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When you can figure out what a woman means/thinks/feels, let me know and Ill make us both millionares.

I didn't get that vibe, but whatever makes mama happy makes me happy.

By SANGeRIA (sangeria) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brandon -

Let's hook up in Chico and hit Oroville...my cousin who lives up there just picked up an older V210. We might actually head out the weekend of January 15th if you're interested! Beautiful V215!

Sangeria

By Gary (sanger215guy) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 2:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenny, Brandon, SANGeRIA, Mark B, and any other Sanger owners, I am making a list of folks that would be interested in a Sanger weekend. So drop me a email address if you have one and look for the future post if you don't. I hope to be able to arange it around begining of May to kick off the year.

By Mark B (wakehound) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary- Sent you a message.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com