$75 per hr in Florida ???? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » $75 per hr in Florida ???? « Previous Next »
By Tye Thompson (tyerone44) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a eletrical short somewhere in my boat. does anyone know a good place to go in Southern Florida that is less than 75 an hour. thanks

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 9:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey tye: If the can find or fix it in 1 hr thats not that big of a deal, but if they are lame and it takes them all day I see your point, I thought normal marine maint work goes for around $65 per hr?. I would think they would be able to find it rather quickley.
Good luck

By John (hyperryd) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 9:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shop labor for boats around here is over $90 an hour. Do yourself a favor and get a full service manual from the dealer. They are expensive too, but for the price of about an hours labor you can figure out how to fix most problems yourself.

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Boat mechanics do charge a lot:
hagar

By greg (gwake) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 5:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what is the problem? what wont work?

By Tye Thompson (tyerone44) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 7:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can take my boat out for like an hour and it will run perfect. Then when I shut it off , everything goes dead. no horn, no pump, no nothng. I had not pulled my plug during one of the hurricanes and my engine was just sitting in water. So I think I just have a short somewhere. Do you think it would take a mechanic long to find the problem? I'd just hate to take it somewhere and have them tell me it took them 5 hrs. to find the problem. I need to go boarding soon, I'm jonesing. Any help???

By Doug Gierosky (d_fresh) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 8:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK, what type of boat? Next time you go out take a multi meter. Check for the obvious. Is there power switched from the ign switch, etc.

By Matt White (matt_w) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If everything goes dead then it should not be hard to find a problem. I would check the main circuit breaker if you have one before taking it in. I would also agree on a flat fee to find the problem before letting them do the work.

By Tye Thompson (tyerone44) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
its a 1990 mastercraft 190 What is a Multi meter? and there dosen't seem to be circuit brakers only one main breaker with one reset button. I have pressed it a couple times and nothing. the back of my dash is all fiberglassed in, one bunch of main cords coming down. Any other help?? thanks

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 7:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Before you take it to a mechanic, pull of your main engine ground and wire brush it or sand it to bare metal - both the engine contact and the wire lead. Do the same for the battery connections. That is the most likely cause of the problem and will take you less than one hour.

By eric fox (fox) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Karl, good advice. I had a similar problem on a 92. I would say, pull wires one at a time, clean contact areas with a wire brush/sandpaper, and apply di-electric grease.

Eric

By Tye Thompson (tyerone44) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm gonna do it this weekend. Can I find that di-eletric grease at a local shop? Where are the cables i am sposto clean at? Should I just start at the battery main cables and see where they thake me? Is there like a main place where they go with a bunch of cables? My main engine ground? Thanks alot for the help, I'm new this whole fixing a boat thing, everything seemed to be fine until a few hurricanes hit. Just my luck. Thnks again

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 3:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey, unless it interferes with your riding schedule, enjoy your 'boat fixing time'. Beats the hell out of all the other work you could be doing.

The good news is that you've got a great boat to learn on - lots of practice and nothing to really screw up. (My boat's got at least three computers in it. Try fixin them ;-)

By Tye Thompson (tyerone44) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 7:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks alot. I fixed my problem in about 2 hrs. I had to get a new fuse breaker. Only 8 dollars. Cleaned my ground, and all wires on fuse box. It runs great now. Thanks everyone

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good work. Don't be afraid to try some more self repair and maintenance. It pays off.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com