Steam cleaner for your vynle Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Steam cleaner for your vynle « Previous Next »
By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone used one of these household style steam cleaners on your vynle. I found a few on the web but was wondering what you have used

http://www.steamcleanersplus.com/vapor-steam-cleaners-mega.htm

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 7:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The bissel one sells for like $100 and looks week
The Vaporstorm sells for $140 and looks more heavy duty

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 7:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
vapor storm

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They dont work very well. More work than what its worth. My neighbor has the Steam Shark (or something like that) and it takes a long time to clean effectivley. The steam that that it emits does not cover any area. I used it for 10 minutes and did not get very far at all. It did remove one small black smudge but a bottle of Fantastic would have probably done the same.

By Shawn K. (zipe) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Errr, my experience is completely opposite Pierce. I have the Steam Mouse and the thing works better than any cleaners that I have found. Breaks down the ground in junk pretty well on my boat. It is not an "all in one " cleaner however. Steam, wipe down with water and follow up with a cleaner to suck up the loose grime. Also has worked wonders in my truck.

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 8:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shawn do you have a link to the steam mouse you have?

By KStateAlumni (bbeach) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 9:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've used a big carpet cleaner steamer with the hand attachment and it works GREAT on carpet, vinyl, everything in the boat! Carpet especially! Makes it like new!

By Shawn K. (zipe) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is an ebay link to the model that I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2324382192&category=20611

Shawn

By J.Cox (aircox) on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 9:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I found this new product Grease lightning to work very well.... Would the steam soak into the vinyl...

By Joe H (superairdawg) on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 11:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a Bissell Little Green Pro to clean the carpet in my boat, car & truck. To be honest, I've never thought to use it on the vinyl, but it's a great size for those applications and works pretty darn well.

Bissell Little Green Pro

By Stewart McLean (gizel) on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant, My buddy owns a very High End Detail shop in the south bay and he showed me the secret to getting the Vinyl super clean. Use an Air Compressor with a Blow tip. With just warm soappy water or even the Vinyl cleaner that you normally use spray it on the seats and stuff then use the the blow tip to spray directly on the seats but make sure that you are spraying into a towel or cloth. then just wipe. This is one of his many secrets.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
stewart - can you explain that a little more? i have heard about the air compressor idea before too. what do you mean by "spray into a towel or coth?" also, when you say, spray the water or cleaner on the seats, do you mean spray it all over and then just blow the area with the compressor? sorry, just trying to better understand the idea. thanks

By Stewart McLean (gizel) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 7:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What I mean by spraying it into a towel its so you dont blow the dirt and junk all over yourself. Basicly spray some cleaner on the vinyl then scrub it a little with a soft brush. Then Take the compressor and kind of blow on the vinyl but cover the area with a towel or something so that you don't blow the dirt into your face and eyes.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
aha.....gotcha. thank you

By Grant West (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The whole Idea was to try to get away from using the soft brush. IMO the more you use a soft brush on your Vinyl the more it takes the protectant cover off it and it seems to get dirty easyer, It seems to dry out the vynl.

I have done away with using any sort of strong cleaners for this reason. If I need to deep clean I just use the Meguiar's vinyl & rubber cleaner & conditioner with a soft brush. The action of the soft brush is what get's the vinyl clean. I use the cleaner/conditioner as a protectant IMO you should have this on your vinyl anyways so it kills 2 birds with one stone, Like I said If i use the fantastic or any other cleaner I have to go over it with the Meguiar's vinyl & rubber cleaner& conditioner after im done so this just takes one step out of the job.

BTW I think keeping the Vinyl clean is the biggest maint part of owning my boat, I would bet I spend more time cleany the Vinyl than any other maint task

By Stewart McLean (gizel) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 9:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant, With the air hose I just used dish soap and warm water, which does not take the protectant off, The Air from the compressor does all the work. I agree with you 100% I spend more time cleaning my Seats and stuff then the actual boat. BTW, I do put on the 808 vinyl protectant about once a year just to be safe.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com