Speaker Wiring Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Speaker Wiring « Previous Next »
By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just wanted to get some suggestions on wiring speakers to show a 4-8 ohm load to my amp. I want ot run my amp bridged. I have four speakers total, (2) 4ohm and (2) 8ohm.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thsi is the only thing I came up with is this correct??

One scenario?? A= 1st 8ohm
B= 2nd 8ohm
C= 1st 4ohm
D= 2nd 4ohm

Wire (+) A to (+) Amp, C(+) to A (-), C(-) to Amp (-) then D(-) to amp neg, D (+) to B (-), B (++ to Amp (+)

This will show a 6.25 ohm load?

4ohm 8 ohm in serries = 12ohm load

( 2) 12 ohm loads in parallel = 6.25 ohm

Is there anyway to get it closer to 4 ohm?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 1:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what about running the amp in stereo, and running each set of like speakers off each channel run in parallel. Can a 2ohm stable amp handle one channel seeing a 2ohm load and the other seeing a 4ohm load?

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How about getting a 4-channel amp. Run the 2 4-ohm speakers to the front two channels and then bridge the rear two channels and run the 8-ohm speakers in parallel to the rear channel. That way the rear channel will really be seeing a 4 ohm load.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have a 4ch amp that will be able to push enough power. I'm trying to work with what I have

By Jason Pribyl (skibum69) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 3:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
based on your speakers the only balanced way to run your speakers is 12 or 6.25 with a 2 channel amp.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I psoted on anohter baord and someone mentioned that it was not a good idea to run 4 ohm and 8ohm speakers off the same amp, even running in an acceptable load, they will not sound ver good and get different amount of power. anyone ever heard of this?

By Jason Pribyl (skibum69) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yep,
even though the amp is seeing a single load per channel it can handle, the speakers will be running at different loads themselves, you 4 ohm speaker will be louder than the 8 ohm and the 8 ohm will be more precise, but quieter.

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So, what kind of amp do you have. How many channels, how many watts RMS per channel does it give out and at what ohm.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 6:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
200x2 RMS, 800x1 RMS (Bridged), 400x2 RMS (2 ohm)

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 7:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Would the 8ohm speaker be quiter even if it had an spl higer than the 4ohm. Near 97db 8ohm, and 88db 4ohm

By Mike (mikeski) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Adam,

Just parallel the Evids to your bridged amp. If you want to use the other speakers as fillers run them off deck power until you get another amp. This is definately a case when more is not necessarily better.

Mike

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 6:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike,

This is a different set of speakers. I'll post in a few more days and let everyone know

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com