Dual Batteries on 2000 Tige 21i Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Dual Batteries on 2000 Tige 21i « Previous Next »
By Scott Stevenson (scottie4421) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone setup dual batteries on their Tige?

I bought a battery combiner and second battery with the idea of running the stereo off of the second battery. The problem is, there are 2 wires to the battery, 1 huge starting cable, and 1 smaller accessories wire.....well, the stereo is powered from the huge starter cable. I know this because I connected each wire to the battery 1 at a time. The stereo only has power when the starter cable is attached. So, I'm not exactly sure what to do here. The logical thing to do is figure out how the stereo is wired into this, disconnect it, and wire it to the second battery. This has proven to be a chore since due to the number of wires and the way Tige hides them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Scott

By G Gross (waken23v) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 1:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What I did was just have the new battery go only to the starter and that is now the starting battery. I think you can use the original starter cable if it will reach. I had to buy a new cable. I don't remember if I left the original cable going to the orignal switch or just disconnected it. I can check if you want. I used the combiner and three separate on/off swithes. I have the two switches for the batteries always on when in use. The third switch is only for combining the batteries if the starting or acc. battery is dead. It is a little extra work but well worth it. Don't get shocked on the price of the cable. I had to combine the batteries once when I left it at a slip overnight and the radio and amp were left on. I always leave the batteries on in a slip to use the bilge pump in case there is a small leak. The acc. battery was so dead I couldn’t even turn it over. Once I combined them it worked great. There were eight people in the boat waiting to head out and it would have been a drag to try to jump them even if I had any cables around.

Good luck.

By Brett Davis (bdavis) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 8:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dis you use the hellroaring isolator? If so, how much and where? Thanks

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Scott:

Your stereo should be wired into the main fuseblock, which is probably located up under the dash some place. If you really want the stereo on the second battery your best bet would be to get behind the stereo, find the main power wire(s), disconnect them and run a new wire from the stereo to a fuse located next to your second battery. (Do NOT leave out the fuse....).

Most people don't worry about the stereo and just leave it on the main battery. It is the amps that really suck the battery down and those are what you want on the second battery. You can run the stereo all day and not run your starting battery down if the amps are on the second battery. Leaving the stereo on all night by mistake might still be a problem however.

Rod

By Scott Stevenson (scottie4421) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the suggestions fellas.....I'll give it a shot.

Actually I'm using the West Marine Battery Combiner....I think I paid around 85 bucks for it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com