PCM Excalibur Running Cool Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » PCM Excalibur Running Cool « Previous Next »
By RodE (gymboarder) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a PCM exclabiur engine in my 04 san. Today we took the boat out and could not get the water temp over 125 degrees. I ran the boat for over an hour straight. Any suggestions on what could be wrong.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 7:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the same problem with my san when it was new. A buddy of mine also had it happen on his 206. It wouldn't heat up over 130, it was a bad thermostat. West Coast CC replaced and now it runs a 155-160 all the time.
I'm not sure if it is bad for the engine to run cooler or not, but the heater dosen't put out much heat with it running that cool.

By NautiqueJeff (planetnautique) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 9:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, this is a somewhat common issue on the Excalibur engine. I have heard of a number of cases where this has happened. It is almost certainly a stuck thermostat. See this thread for more information.

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=906&highlight=

By NautiqueJeff (planetnautique) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
BTW, my Excalibur runs at 161* pretty much all the time. Be sure to stick with the 160* thermostat, especially if you have a heater in your boat.

By RodE (gymboarder) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 7:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How hard of a job is it to change the thermostat or should I just take it to my dealer since its under warranty.

By Jason Pribyl (skibum69) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 9:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If it is under warranty call your dealer first. Although it is an easy job. It should only take 5 minutes to change.

By DJL (dholio) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 5:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is not the thermostat that is failing. There is debris inside of the thermostat itself. The thermostat needs to be removed, heated up and then the debris can be scraped out of there. I have done this on quite a few of them. It will take about 15-20 minutes.

By RodE (gymboarder) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Boat is fixed. It was the thermostat. Dealer changed it and it runs at the correct temp now.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DJL, just for your info, mine came to me brand new with a bad thermostat in it. There was no debris in it. PCM has had a problem with this.
Mine was stuck wide open.

By Lance (uga33) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Rod, since you have first hand experience how would compare your PCM to your old Merc?

By RodE (gymboarder) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance,
That is a pretty hard thing to do since I have had the boat for only 6 weeks. In the past I owned a 1998 calabria with a merc motor and had zero problems with it. My avalanche was another story. I had mutiple problems with it after my first year of ownership so needless to say I had to pay everytime I took it into the shop. It seemed like everytime I took it out I drove it from the lake to the dealer because the motor was acting up. (only had 70 hrs on it).
So far the PCM has been a really strong motor. The one major thing I like about the PCM is that it is much smoother on acceleration. The merc always seemed to hesitate when it was given gas(no the ecm didnt need to be reprogramed either).
So far I have also been impressed with my dealer and his knowledge of the motor and what problems there are with it. When I called him up about the cool running he said bring it in, its the thermostat and it needs to be repalced. When I had a problem with the merc in the avalance I had to tell my dealer about possible problems that I had learned of on this site.
Over all im sure both motors perform well but right now PCM has my business hands down.
Just my $.02

By Lance (uga33) on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 5:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the evaluation. I the same as you have tell my dealer of possible problems with my Merc that I have seen on this site. Its kinda like Merc don't issue service bulletins or anything. It can be frustrating at times. I work real close with my dealer so I know it is not anything they are doing.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com