AC Delco vs. NGK Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » AC Delco vs. NGK « Previous Next »
By Michael W. Gwin (mwgwin) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 7:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was recommended to buy the AC Delco MR43LTS spark plugs for my 01 X-Star but cant find them in my area. I can get ahold of NGK VR6FS though. Anyone have an opinion of NGK? Good, bad, indifferent.

Im planning to do my maint. and winterizing tomorrow with a buddy so Id like to change the plugs then too but I can wait for the AC Delco's if its a big difference.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

By John Boy Holmes (surfnfury65) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike, I worked in the auto parts business for many years. The rule of thumb the mechanics always used was "keep it in the family." American motor, american plugs. It is best to stick with OEM (original equipment)parts. NGK is a good plug if you were running a Toyota or Nissan motor in your boat. If you do decide to go with the NGK there are a few things to check. Make sure they have the same core make up, copper vs. platinum for example. Make sure that they are the same heat range. If not you can get a fouled plug down the road and make sure they are gapped the same. You don't always get the right plug when you cross reference . Anyways Mike that is just my opinion and we all know about those.
Ride More, Work Less,
John

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not sure about the NGK's but the marine version of the A/C Delco's are stainless steel. I personally used the Delco's, over the Champions that Ford recommended.

By Joe Mama (spoon) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The marine versions of I have seen from Delco are NOT stainless. Example: the MR43T or MR44T that is recommended for some of the GM 305/350 blocks from Merc. The M is for marine, and the bodies are carbon steel.

Having said that, I use the AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs (#10), which are nickel plated. I have had the same plugs for 4 years. They never rust into the block like the "marine" Delcos. I beleive the NGKs are nickel plated also.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com