Electrical troubleshooting Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Electrical troubleshooting « Previous Next »
By The Spleen (thespleen) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 6:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, here's a good one:
I've got two batteries on my boat connected with a Perko switch. One battery,call it B, was in my house on charger. I go out to start my boat,and the other battery, call it A, is dead, it shows like 4 or five volts on a voltmeter. So something is probably draining that battery, I think (may or may not be related to next problem). I hook battery B up to battery A using jumper cables (just easier this way) and my boat won't start, it just sort of makes a clicking sound. Also, the voltmeter on my boat reads like 11 volts, which is wierd because when put a voltmeter on battery B it reads like 13 volts. I figure maybe B wasn't fully charged, and it's a deep cycle battery, so maybe it's not so great at starting things. So I take the battery out of my truck,call it C, which is a perfectly good, charged battery, disconect B, attach C, and the same thing happens. So finally, I hook B up via the Perko switch, hook C up to A using jumper cables, and now the engine starts just fine, and the voltmeter on the boat reads like13 volts. So is something "stealing" voltage, which prevents just one battery from starting the boat? Thanks for the help,
Jared

By jeff (waterdog2) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 7:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sounds like a might have a bad cell

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your jumper cables are flakey!

If you have 11 volts at one end of the jumper cables, and 13 at the other, either there is one heck of a lot of current flowing or you have a bad connection!

Rod

By G Gross (waken23v) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have had a set of jumper cables go bad. It very well could be the cables.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is very common that the clamps don't make good contact with the battery posts. A wire brush to clean the clamps can help a lot.

Rod

By The Spleen (thespleen) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 8:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK thanks for the thoughts. I'll check it out. I guess one of the things I didn't try was taking the one known, good starting battery, and hooking it up directly.

By Flux (flux) on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 9:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just going to suggest removing batt A completely and starting with a fresh or good battery. Once a battery drains too much, it can be fried. Older non deep cycles lose their ability to charge or hold a charge once they get drained a few times. You simply won't be able to jump through a bad battery once it has been fried. Even 11 volts may not do the trick.

If you are worried about a small short in your system that drains batt A when you leave the boat, just remove the + terminal hookup when you are done.

By S Dub (sdub) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 2:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree. Either A was too weak or no longer any good. Get a new batt. A.

What happens when you connect a weak battery with a good battery is, you get, two half a$$ batteries.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com