Anybody looking for lead in Nor. Cal.? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Anybody looking for lead in Nor. Cal.? « Previous Next »
By Mike (mikeski) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been looking for some lead for a while. Today I received a message from somebody that wants to sell me a 4,000lb sailboat keel! Talk about a nice wake... At his price we could probably cut it up in 400lb pieces and divy it up. He is asking about $0.20 per pound which is the cheapest I have found. Send me a note if you are interested. mikeskiw@comcast.net

(Message edited by mikeski on October 07, 2004)

By Tommy G (tommyg) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 9:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike, one thing to keep in mind...400lb pieces, unless you plan to melt them down further, are going to be a HUGE pain the butt for you, not to mention will be very difficult to maneuver in your boat without damaging it.

I have a bunch of lead that I use in my boat, and have found that 50lb blocks is about the right size for easily moving around, and for allowing for good fine tuning of the weight distribution.

I used to have 75 and 100 lb blocks as well, and they (especially the 100lb blocks) were a real pain to take in and out of the boat for towing, and you had to be ultra-careful not to drop, or your going to ruin your boat, or worse yet your foot.

I currently trailer with 200lbs of lead in the boat as well, will not pull with more than that.

I picked up my lead in oakland, $.35/pound, and the place i got my stuff had 50 lb bricks that were perfect size.

By jan w (jwag) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike,

I have some bricks I can sell you. I sent you an email.

They are the pro flight bars in this thread

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/95802.html

(Message edited by jwag on October 08, 2004)

By Wilson Lee (leewilson) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am also looking for lead to put in the bow and ski locker. 50lbs are alot more manageable.

If anyone has lead, drop me an email.

thx

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I make my own lead bars. I went to a local indoor shooting range and picked up buckets of the waste junk from the targets. It contains a LOT of junk, such as plastic, brass, etc.

Just as I got it from the shooting range I could put it into sand bags and have reasonable weights. I decided to melt it down and make bars so I fired up the Coleman stove (wife wouldn't let me do it on the kitchen stove, can't figure out why.... :-) ) I used a cast iron skillet to melt the lead. All the crap floats to the top and I skim it off, then pour the lead into a steel tray (it was a tray designed for doing drywall taping, just the right size!)

The result was nice, clean bars of lead that weighed about 50 pounds each. Other than an afternoon spent over the Coleman stove and about a quart of stove fuel the bars were free.

Rod

By Alex Benetatos (calabria_man) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Rod,
you mean the regular coleman camping propane stove? It gets hot enough?

By Alan (tigeal) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 4:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just a reminder for those of you melting lead, It is Poisonos and will react violently if water is added to the molten lead.

By Brian Miller (brianmiller) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 8:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you can't get lead from a shooting range, check out mom and pop car shops. They will give you the lead balancing weights off old tires.

By Mike (mikeski) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK,

Last time I went by the tire stores it was on a Friday and most had already sold/given it to the recycler. It's Monday, I think I will head out and see if I have better luck today.

I already have about 100#s in old tire weights. I like Rods idea I doubt I will blow myself up

Mike

By GD (greatdane) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Guys, don't jeopardize your health, buy the new lead bars with handles at ALCO in Oakland for 50 cents a pound and cover it with truck bed liner -- OR -- buy the same thing covered professionally by proflight. I picked up 6 of these 65 lb new-lead coated proflight bars at a close out sale at the boat show two years ago for $35 each -- not sure what they cost normally. You only live once. Buy the proflight lead and have a quality product without health issues.

(Message edited by greatdane on October 11, 2004)

By GD (greatdane) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
LeadThreadLink

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alex:

My coleman stove is not the propane type, it is the type you pour the fuel into the tank and pump it up.

It didn't have any problem melting the lead.

Rod

By Mike (mikeski) on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 8:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just to give you guys an update...

I did confirm that Alco in San Leandro does have 55lb. bars, $0.55 for recycled, $0.65 for new. The recycled should be fine for our use ($30.25 per bar).

I stopped by a couple gas stations that did tire work, apparently they are too small to attract the recyclers. I was able to come up with three 5 gallon buckets worth, or about 300lbs. Using a one quart cast iron skillet and a single burner propone stove I was able to melt down some of the tire weights down to a 50lb bar. All and all the $30/bar deal is looking pretty attractive since it took almost 2 hours to do the melting. Luckily there was a nice breeze to carry the fumes away but I wouldn't want to do too much more of this.

FYI I did wear an industrial type paint respirator but I doubt it was much help.

Mike

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com