Dock decking - Trex or Choicedeck? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Dock decking - Trex or Choicedeck? « Previous Next »
By Keith F (keithf) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 8:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi, I'm building a dock for the first time and need help deciding on one of these 2 composite decking materials. Any one been there done that and care to share their experience about which is more suited to decking use?

Thanks! Keith.

By Mike (mikeski) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brockdock

By eric fox (fox) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used the stuff that Homedepot sold...called Everex. It is super heavy, especially in the 12 footers we had. It helps to predrill every hole otherwise you need a torquemonster of a drill to put in the special screws. Also, I found that it helps to put the screws in a bucket of water to lubricate them when driving them in. I will try posting a pic...

Eric
Dock under construction

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second the vote by Mikeski on the Brockdock. Around these parts it is considered hands down the best.
My dock being somewhate aged now has a top on it called Skidgaurd. It's basically a marine plywood but has a very hard polymer coating on each side. It holds up pretty good but not as good as the Brockdock.
Eric, where ya putting the Hot tub?

By eric fox (fox) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane...it was a bit overkill...6x6 treated lumber buried 3.5 feet deep and there are five of them front and back. 2x12 bands thirty feet in length and 2x10 stringers. I don't think the dock is going anywhere!!! No hottub, but it was built with the idea of being able to park 2 skiboats front to back. Once I get the lift in on the foreground side I'll be golden!!! Here's a pick of what used to be there. It was 4x4's just sitting on top of the mud.
The old dock

By Wilson Lee (leewilson) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have Trex on my dock which measure about 40' by 25'. I have another material called Weatherbest for my deck outside the house that measures out 10' by 40'. The Trex works well but is heavier than Weatherbest. The Weatherbest looks nice because it has a wooden grain look to it and is thinner and lighter than Trex but you can still install every 16 inches.

By the way, my piers are in 1 ft diameter composite plastice sewer pipe, filled with concrete, with 6" treated wood buried 5' under water level. These are the minimal city requirement in the salt water that I am in.

I can probably land a helicopter on my dock!!!

By Keith F (keithf) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the replies! Appreciated!

Down here in South East Texas, Lowes sells Choicedeck, and Home Depot sells TREX.

Did some reviewing of Brock dock, but am not keen on hollow plastic decking.

For decking I'm looking for something as solid as pressure treated wood, without the leaching chemicals, warping, etc.

Am thinking I'll go with TREX as I've read it's more flexible than Choicedeck. So it should be less likely to split when hit, would absorb more impact from a boat, etc?

I have 4x6 framing and 12" OC decking supports.

Thanks! Keith

(Message edited by keithf on October 08, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com