Teak or Fiberglass Platform? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Teak or Fiberglass Platform? « Previous Next »
By J.D.Porter (airporter) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey all,

Any comments on teak or fiberglass boarding platform for the MC X9? I hear the fiberglass is prone to damage, but the teak fades and looks shabby over time. Which is better in your opinion?

By jude (macdaddy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
YO JD whats with all the questions are you ordering an X9???

By J.D.Porter (airporter) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
YEP!

Pretty excited too, except I've got to wait until next May to use it! Winter is on the way in Calgary! I've almost decided exactly the way I want it, but these little things just keep popping up, so I turn to you experts for advice. You know the deal, don't want any regrets.

Thanks,
Jim

By jude (macdaddy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i Just bought my X9 this summer... Love it the thing has so much room. what did you get the MCX that and powerslot are the only things i wish i Had ordered..as far as the swim platform..i love teak....just keep it oiled...I sanded mine down and rounded the edges with a router...now i just keep it oiled and it looks new!!

By Mike Snyder (rem_pss308) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teak and plenty of oil. I oil mine after every trip.I sand it once before season starts to make it look fresh.
I have thought about covering the teak with with rhino liner, but cant make up my mind on that. But if I had a new boat I wouldnt. Mine is a 93. But that is the cool thing about the teak. Mine is over ten years old. I sand it, and it looks new again.

By cdm (cdm) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 7:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The composite platform is great. It can scratch, but keeping it waxed helps. It have had both and although I like the classic look of the teak, the composite is much less work. I don't have the time to oil my platform after every trip. And thats what it takes to keep them looking good.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 7:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
JD have you ordered yet??? There are about 3-4 guys in Calgary here that are seriously thinking about new Mastercrafts. I'm selling or trading in my X-10 ths year, email me when you get a second pat@segl.ca I'm thinking a bulk order from a Calgary crew might get us some buying power

By GRAMPS (akman) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 7:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
2 to 5 minutes to shoot some teak oil on a rag or directly on the swimstep is hardly a pain.......or time consuming.

Once a year you may have to lightly sand the edges to get the scratches off depending on how people jump off it.

Keep it oiled and it will look like new day in and day out.

I wait one day after I get back from the river to let mine dry out a little and then oil it.......looks brand new coming up on 18 months.

If you ding a teak deck you can sand it to fix it, if you ding a composite deck you will need fiberglass work and most likely take it back to the dealer....and have to pay for the fix.

my .02

By Micah (zboomer) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 7:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My current boat has a fiberglass platform, my first, and I love it. Going on a year so far, with zero maintenance. Since it's solid, it's very easy on the feet, mine and the dogs.

I still love the way a (taken care of) teak platform looks though.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can ignore teak, beat it up, scratch it pretty bad, make it look ugly, and then with an hours work you can sand it down, oil it up and it will look great again.

Once you scratch the fiberglass it will pretty much stay scratched.

I have teak, and keep a bottle of teak oil in the boat. When I put the boat away I spend about an hour washing it. About two minutes of that is pouring a little teak oil on the platform and smearing it around. Maybe once a year I will take a good stiff brush and some really soapy water and wash the platform really good.

By Marty McFly (mcfly) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very little maintenance with Fiberglass. If your swim platform pads ever tear or start to look dingy, just peel them up and stick the new ones down....get a scratch? Just buff it out with some light rubbing compound. And the great thing is that its glass...even if you back it into something, you can still repair it instead of having to replace it!

Fiberglass swim platforms are very easy to repair if they get damaged.

McFly

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've had both and probably like teak covered with rhinoliner the best. If I step on the edge of my fiberglass platform, I slip because the grip pads don't cover about 2-3 inches of the edge and a stripe down the middle. The laminated teak has zero maintenance. I think the wood looks the best though. In the desert heat, I've seen some older teak platforms warp pretty bad.

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I really like teak better personally. The reason I went with that is because I thought it looked better and I know I would take care of my boat. If you know thar you;re not one to clean you;re boat all the time and take care of it REALLY well I would go with the fiberglass.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 5:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teak!

By Big Dave (hot4sun) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 9:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teak all the way, easy to maintain and looks so good. Five minutes and a spray bottle is all you need. The traction is good all over also.

By Mike (xstar_mike) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 9:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Compromise! I like the inlay.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 9:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teak!

If you have fiberglass and leave it in the water ducks and geese like to hang out on it and do what they do best all over it, doesn't look real nice, and it can stain the fiberglass.

Rub some oil on the Teak, two minutes, after every other use and it looks great. It always looks good in the water as well.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com