Bay area boat owners winterizing ?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Bay area boat owners winterizing ?? « Previous Next »
By Craig Cook (imracerx) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For those of you who live in the Bay Area and store your boats outside, do you do any winterizing? I store my boat outside on the Peninsula near Redwood City. It seldomly hits freezing here. I was thinking of maybe just draining the water out and possibly fogging it and using some gas stabilizer. There is always that possibility of a nice winter day here so I don't know if I really want to do anything that will force me to keep it dry all winter. Thanks!

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't live in the bay area, but it has to be below freezing for a few days in a row inorder for anything to crack from what I've heard. I live in texas and odn't winterize, just use fuel stabilizer throughout the winter months. I usually run it once a month except for jan.

By Craig Cook (imracerx) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks. It gets below freezing here once in a great while but it will still warm up during the day. It won't be freezing for more than a few hours at a time so I think I'm safe. Just wanted a few more opinions.

By Wilson Lee (leewilson) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I live in San Mateo and don't even drain the water. If you have access to an outlet, a dehumidifier helps prevent the mold buildup. I usually fire it up once a month to keep the battery going and gas circulating.

If you are interested, drop me an email to go boarding in my backyard. Always looking for a third.

By Craig Cook (imracerx) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Wilson. I'll drop you a mail..

By jude (macdaddy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 4:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
wilson do you live on the lagoon? I live in San Mateo but i only have dead grass in my back yard

By John Klein (jklein) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 5:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There have been winters in the bay area where it has gotten cold enough to do damage. I had pipes burst in 1997 in Morgan Hill (south of San Jose) in late Dec / early Jan. I was in Arizona at the time and when I got home I was leaking on some outdoor pipes. There were alot of people in the same boat as me. It does happen, but very infrequently. If you're in the garage, I'd say your going to be safe. Outdoors: have an extension cord and light bulb ready in case we get a cold snap.

By Tommy G (tommyg) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 5:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I live in the east bay and my boat is in my garage now, but when i lived out on the peninsula, i had my boat outside and covered. i never winterized it, just put in that damprid stuff to collect moisture, and made sure to start it up every few weeks.

By Mike (mikeski) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Craig,

Sun or Shade? My boat gets afternoon sun and I have not had any issue with freezing in over 20 years. If yours is in the shade watch the weather report. More than 3 days with temps in the 30s equals possible freezing issues. Put 60watt light bulb under the motor box and plug it in if the temp goes low for more than 3 days.
Mike

By Craig Cook (imracerx) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 8:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks everyone. Mike - the boat gets partial sun. No electrical outlets where it is stored so there's no way to put a light bulb in it. Guess I'll keep a close eye on the weather. If there area couple real cold days in a row, maybe I'll go start it up and hopefully that will help.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 9:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Craig, I used to store my boat outside for most of it's life. We ride year around so the boat tended to get used at least once a month. If you have plugs in your boat you need to change them out to drains. Skidim sells a kit, that will have the exhaust, block, etc drains. This will allow you to drain the block and everything with about 2 minutes of work, and no tools. Gotta remember to close them, when you take the boat out again though. Don't kid yourself that it will not damage an engine with freezing temps. Over the years my friend has sold tons of engine blocks because of freezing.

By Levi Cress (levi) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second Peter's advice. I have the skidim "drain" plugs and it is cake to drain. But I converted when I moved from the Bay area to Idaho. I asked the guy's at my marina (Bethel Island - Delta) and they said that several years ago they had a ton of motors freeze so it's a gamble.

As for the light bulb solution....I went w/ a "heat bar" thing called the "Golden Rod". You can find them in RV places or someplace that sells Gun Safes. They don't get too hot to worry about fires and I'd be scared that a light bulb would burn out and you're not covered. I've also heard about people using a strand of Xmas lights.....then you'd have a back up light or 2! :-) Just make sure the entire strand doesn't go dead if one burns out.

If you put a heat source in your boat I'd also recommend some rat poisen....as they'd just love your nice cozy boat and upholstery!

By Mike (mikeski) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 1:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
During the big freeze in 1997 the weather at Discovery Bay barely went above freezing for almost 2 weeks. I don't know of any boats on hoists that suffered any damage. There were two boats in the shade next to homes that suffered cracked blocks or intake manifolds that I knew of. One was an I/O and the other was a direct drive. Both of these motors were GMs, one was a 350 the other was a 4.3v6. Based on this if your boat gets some sun during the day it is unlikely that you will have any trouble unless it is an extremely cold winter in Redwood City. I have never heard of anybody having any issues in Redwood City, the boats at Marine World were never winterized when I worked there.

By Just S. Guy (justsomeguy) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike,

Did you happen to know an old friend/co-worker of mine that skied for Marine World back then (80s)?

Desmond Casey?

By Mike (mikeski) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Name doesn't sound familiar, I was there in 1978, with Gary Warren, Don Kneudler, The Burnham sisters and a bunch of others that I can't recall off the top of head.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com