BU vs. BU? Is the 05 VLX the answer? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » BU vs. BU? Is the 05 VLX the answer? « Previous Next »
By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 4:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have done much reading on WW and on BU owners web site too. Still a few questions. Yes I know I will need to demo. (NO comments Cliff or Scotty D)

From the specs, pics and the wake descriptions I have seen… it sounds like the 05 VLX is closer to the 04 LSV than it is to the 04 VLX. (true?)

The short story is…. I have ridden behind the 04 VLX with stock ballast/ lead/ and wedge… Christie… your wake was sick! I’m sold sign me up!

The problem is my wife wants a roomier boat… We have looked at many other top brands with friends or local dealers over the last year or two… X2, X10, 22V, Moomba XLV, Moomba LSV, BU VLX, Pro V, B-52, and yes included in that list is the 04 Malibu LSV… wake was good but needed more weight to get close to the caliber of the VLX (imho).

I have been able to hold off on a new boat purchase because none of the manufacturers had the right mix of wake/ storage/ roominess/ and ballast convenience that would justify the additional cost to upgrade. I would rather stick with my older MC than pay big bucks for the wrong boat or a new boat that I still needed significant amounts of weight and more sacks to get it dialed. ( I know we all keep adding weight… work with me here I don’t think spending 50k on a boat should requite pumps and waterbed fittings!)

I took a quick look at the 05 VLX at my local dealer recently… is this boat my answer? Can I get the wake of a 04 VLX with the roominess of a LSV and still have storage room in the back?? Too good to be true?

With stock ballast and wedge… is the 05 VLX wake more like the 04 VLX or the 04 LSV? (Maybe a bit of extra lead…but NO sacs!)

For 05 it sounds like the floor above the rear tanks is removable… what does this mean for adding lead or additional tanks or bags? Will the floor support it?

Am I close to a happy compromise yet?

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 4:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not a Tige guy? I'm not promoting any boat here but I've heard the 24V is worth looking into if you don't want to add a ton of weight and want a roomy boat. Just a thought. I love the look of the new Malibu's though.

By Scotty D (jinxton) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 5:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I still cant believe you havent bought a new boat yet!!! Maybe demoing isnt so bad after all. I'm with you on not having to add to a $50000 boat, it should all be there.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 5:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Sanger V215 is similar size & wake performance to the new VLX, might be worth a look.

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 5:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I’m trying. If it was just my decision… I would already have one. My next career move will be a professional demo consultant.

I knew it would not be long till you posted something… Ha. Hope all is well in Vegas. Give me a call on my cell.

I don’t think Sanger has a dealer in Washington.

By drumNwake420 (drumnwake420) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 6:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I recently test drove an 05 VLX and I was instantly sold. Boat feels SOO roomy with the new hull and the space was unbelievable. I am almost 6 foot and weigh 220 pounds and I could just about fit in the storage compartment on ONE SIDE of the engine. The ballast tanks under the floor combined with the bigger beam makes this an incredibly roomy boat. The boat I rode also had the optional front ballast included so all stock filled was about 1200 pounds plus the wedge. Wake was incredible. I am definitely sold on the 05 bu!

By sl4ppy (sl4ppy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 6:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought my '05 VLX in late August. Keep in mind that not only the 05 longer and wider than the 04 VLX, but the windsheild/dash is nudged forward a hair, making the overall passenger area size of the 05 vastly larger than the 04's. The stock wake on the 05 seems significantly better than the stock 04 with the minor hull modifications, and adding the bow ballast tank makes a world of difference.

As for a 23 LSV versus a 21(.5) VLX, keep in mind that a bigger boat (the LSV) requires more weight to make a comparable wake. The larger boat has much more surface area in contact with the water, and wont displace nearly as much water as a smaller boat, thus making the wake smaller given equal ballast.

I have absouI bought my '05 VLX in late August. Keep in mind that not only the 05 longer and wider than the 04 VLX, but the windsheild/dash is nudged forward a hair, making the overall size of the 05 vastly larger than the 04's. The stock wake on the 05 seems significantly better than the stock 04 with the minor hull modifications, and adding the bow ballast tank makes a world of difference.

As for a 23 LSV versus a 21(.5) VLX, keep in mind that a bigger boat requires more weight to make a comparable wake. The larger boat has much more surface are in contact with the water, and wont displace nearly as much water as a small boat, thus making the wake smaller given equal ballast.

I too struggled with the LSV versus VLX issue, and in the end the VLX was the better choice for me. The interior space is virtually identical, and I decided that since it was going to be essentially a purely wakeboarding boat that I should defenitely go with the flagship wakeboard boat.

just a few things to keep in mind...

(Message edited by sl4ppy on October 05, 2004)

By Mike (mikeski) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was at the Malibu dealer on Saturday, all the 2005s look great, I was extremely impressed. The boats are just bigger and better this year, go test drive one like I did. It looked huge on the trailer but once it was in the water it didn't seem big at all, handled great.
Mike

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 1:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff, the VLX is definately easier to sink than the LSV, to get a bigger wake. I'll give you a call about the rear floor over the ballast tanks. Let's go test drive it next week when the weather is better. I remembered you loved the wake on the LSV, I believe the VLX will be better and bigger without having to add as much weight. With stock quad ballast (1,200lbs) with and without the wedge I was able to pull wake to wakes on my wakeskate without a lot of effort and the water was a bit choppy so I was cutting super agressive and had no problems clearing the wake. I think you need to come out and try it before you worry so much about it. The boat is absolutely sick. Just sitting in it and looking at the wake makes you anxious to get ot and ride!

By Brent H (captainfreedom) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff, if you are interested, let's take out my 22V to compare. Trying not to be biased, but the Tige has everything you are looking for in your list. With the Rival ballast system adding 1500 pounds, I would put it up against any wake. Not saying it is the best (everyone has different wake preferences), but the wake is meatier and a little steeper than a VLX with a lot less weight needed to get there. Not quite as steep as a SAN, but right in the middle. Plus, there is a lot more storage. Even with the sacs full in the back, we can store anything we need to. I think the VLX is a beautiful boat, but I still like my boat better for a lot of reasons.

The offer stands anytime you want to check it out.

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I should have typed "water was a bit choppy so I WASN'T cutting super aggressive".

Let's plan a day and go head to head with Brent's Tige. It would be fun to see. I love doing head to head demos, don't get the opportunity very often. I'm to spoiled; thanks Malibu R&D, you guys ROCK!

By Thomas Deneka (tdeneka) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 7:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
All this talk and NO pictures of the new VLX???

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com