Used Boats Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Used Boats « Previous Next »
By JJ BAginski (openwydr) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am going up on Wed to look at the used '90 Mastercraft Maristar 210. Any advice on what I should bew looking for on a 15 year old boat?
I willl also be taking it on the water and pulling a boarder behind it to see how the engine can handle a boarder. Any information would be helpful.

By Mike (mikeski) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 2:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Watch for bubbles in the floorboard where it may be seperating, see if there are any soft spots. This boat probably has wood stringers. Bring a big socket set and see if the motor mount lag bolts are tight or will get tight. If they are stripped then the stringers are most likely rotten. Pull the access cover in back and tap on the stingers with a wrench, if they don't seem solid then they are rotten.

Soft floorboards and rotten stringers are very hard/expensive to fix. If you find this you should probably stay away.

Watch for blue smoke when you first start the boat, indicates worn valve guides, if it stays then it has worn rings. Do a compression test on the motor, it is easy on a boat. It should be consistent with no cylinder below 110psi or so, probably should be around 150psi.

Looked for cracked exhaust manifolds indicating the motor was overheated, traces of rust are the sign.

Boat should still run out smoothly regardless of age, should feel solid going over big wakes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com