Mastercraft trailer cracks Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Mastercraft trailer cracks « Previous Next »
By airfreak (airfreak) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Got a 02 mastercraft Xstar(X2) and have found the structure holding the double axel fenders on has cracks in it. Both sides. Now the corner where the guide-on go might be understandable, but the front mount has a crack in it also. The rear are cracks in the corner welds but the front mount has a crack starting in a corner notch and going up. Just something everyone might want to check.

By Jason Pribyl (skibum69) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 8:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you don't tow with ballast filled do you? that is the only way I could see a trailer cracking(especially a double axle) unless it has a defect, but that sounds like a lot of defects.

By airfreak (airfreak) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 4:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No extreme towing. Just fatigue and poor design. This is not the main support structure for the boat. The cracks are in the arms that hold on the fiberglass wheel fenders. The part you stand on to climb in the boat and where the guide-on mount. They weld onto the main 4" channel. The design has a square notch to give the front wheel more clearance. The crack starts in the corner of the notch and goes up through the bend. Just a bad design. I'll try to post some pictures tonight.

By airfreak (airfreak) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

By xxxl wake (swpmwinc) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
AIr freak are you planning on fixing this yourself? I might be able to give you some advice that will help. If you need any that is. From your pictures I can see some areas for improvement on the original design.

By jude (macdaddy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yo air freak let me know how that fix goes!!! i have the same prob. on my 04...I hate those fenders

By airfreak (airfreak) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 8:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
04? Warranty???

Yes I plan to fix it. You can see I already ground away some paint to get ready to weld. I agree that there is some basic design errors with this design and the way most of the welds were ended. I have weld these up. The other side is worse on the rear. Will reinforce it some and get rid of the square notch.

By jude (macdaddy) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea on a warranty they will just weld it and call it good...I would rather fix the prob so it does not happen again!!

By Whit (whit) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For the last several years I thought the MC trailers used fiberglass fenders? I had a problem with spider cracks with one of my '01 fenders. Are the west coast MC trailers the same as the east coast trailers? From what I can see of the trailer it looks like a different trailer from what I am used to seeing.

By airfreak (airfreak) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 4:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
These are what support the fiberglass fenders. First pic is the rear and shows where the U-bolts that hold the guide-on attach go. There are 4 bolts on the rear and 3 on the front that attach the fiberglass. The bolts are under the rubber grip step area.

By wallyworld (wallyworld) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 7:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wow, the most expensive boat on the market and the crappiest trailer. what does that tell you?

By Whit (whit) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep--that's the same trailer I am used to seeing. Going to go have a look at mine--see if anything is coming undone.

As for the most expensive boat--the X-Star might be pretty expensive, but the X-2 has shifted price points fairly well in the last few years and is now one of the more reasonable priced boats--but this thread is about trailers, not boat prices...

By airfreak (airfreak) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well got welding the left side and came across a crack along the main channel. This crack started at the weld on the bottom but then turned and started going along the main support channel. Not good! In this pic, I already welded the bottom before I thought to take the picture. The bottom right is where the license plate mounts.

By Paul (psudy) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Airfreak,
I would have taken it back to Bob and told him to fix it. You don't pay 40K for a "quality" boat to work on it yourself.

By airfreak (airfreak) on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Paul, normally I would agree. I started working on it thinking it was my fault cause by hitting the guide-ons to hard in our windy conditions. It is only after getting it apart that I see the bad design and the severity of some of the cracks. There is no reason for cracks in the front area except for the bad design. Never put a square corner in an area of fatigue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com