How to wire amps for a boat and tower... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » How to wire amps for a boat and tower setup? « Previous Next »
By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 10:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just purchased a bunch of new stereo equipment for the boat and I need to know the best way to wire it up. Here is what I have to work with:

* CD-MP80 Head Unit (front & rear pre-amp outputs plus a sub output)

* 5 channel amp running 4 boat speakers and one sub

* 2 channel amp running 4 tower speakers (speakers are running in parrallel at 2 ohms)

What I want to do is hook this up so I can use the fader control on my head unit to fade between the boat speakers/sub and the tower speakers. Do I just hook the 5 channel amp up to the front pre-amp outputs on the deck and then run the 2 channel amp off the rear pre-amp outputs on the deck? I'm not sure how all this stuff works for sure. Thanks for any help.

By Mike (mikeski) on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 11:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
justin,

I think you have it figured out, the fader to the tower works great as long as you don't need fading in the boat. If you want fading in the boat use an external level control to the tower. Or you can do like Grant and many others do and use a line driver to control each amplifier. Use your strongest amp on the tower speakers, if it's the 5 channel you can probably still run the sub and the tower.

By Brit Rider (brit_rider) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd think a pre-amp would be a good investment. the Kicker Kq9 is pretty good, might be worth checking out

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about Brit Rider. Can you tell me more about it?

By steezin fo no reason (hpdvs) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 1:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Justin, what kind of speakers are you running in your boat? I have the same boat(1997) as you and was looking to upgrade speakers.

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hpdvs,

I went to the sounddomain.com talk forums and asked some people what the best 6.5" speaker was for the money. A lot of people over there swear by the CDT CL-6X's and they are only $50 a pair. They are only rated for 60 watts RMS, which is a little less than some, but a lot of people said they are pretty good. I am going to be running 50 watts RMS to each speaker, so they should sound pretty good. I haven't installed them yet, so I'll have to let you know how they sound later. Also, there is a guy on that website that you can email to get them for $50 a pair. His screen name is djdilliodon or something like that. He is an authorized dealer and these speakers come with a 3 year warranty. I would recommend that sight for any car audio information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com