1980 Ski Nautique any good? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » 1980 Ski Nautique any good? « Previous Next »
By Scott (scottmen2003) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have found a 1980 Ski Nautique for sale for $6,200. Is that a reasonable price for the boat? It has been completely rebuilt. Also I've heard that the 1981-89 wake is great but is the 1980 similar? Let me know if anyone has had experience with this boat. Thanks. -Scott

By John D (jdreiser) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Scott,

I have an '81 and it is essentially the same boat as the '80. Correct Craft did not change until the '82 2001 models. The 81 and 80 are narrower hulls. It takes less weight to make a great wake, conversly a tower with racks is a must in order to make room inside the boat. I love mine, but I did a LOT of work rebuilding it. $6200 for a completely rebuilt is not unreasonable, but make sure "completely rebuilt" includes stringers and floor.

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
As with any older used boat, car, plane, house, or whatever; the condition is everything.

FYI, if you'd like to see some of the differences between the older models and the almost universally lauded "2001" models, check the 1982 brochure here:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/

It explains some of the changes that they made. The 1980 brochure is also available.

By NautiqueJeff (planetnautique) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You might want to do some of the tests outlined in the following article before you buy the boat. "Completely Rebuilt" means different things to different people.

http://www.planetnautique.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostWrap&file=index&page=http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2001.htm

By 882001 (882001) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
80 wake is gonna be steeeeeep!

By Brandon Holmes (bmh2208) on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 6:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a '77 Skier that is basically the same hull just a foot shorter, and it makes a pretty steeeeeep wake. It gets pretty good with an extra 1000lbs of water though. The steepness of the wake and the transition to a new board (3-stage) is making it difficult for me to be consistent with the wake. It will get better with practice and better timing. Definately a tower is a must as I usually only have room for two other people with all the sacs full. Definately worth the money considering you can get a pretty big wake for so little money.

By Mike (mikeski) on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 11:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We were on the Nautique promo program from 1972-1983, I really think the 2001 hull that arrived in 1982 is one of the most versatile boats ever made. You will find a much stronger following for the 2001s for good reason.

By will clary (wakemaniac69) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, I love mine. Make certian you check it over completely. Engine compression is paramout, take it for a lake test. As far as the wake goes, I weight mine down with about 1300# of ballast and it's insane. Great ride for a great price, plus it's a Ski Nautique and you can't go wrong with that.

By Marcin W (cinekw) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a 1980 SN and it was great, especilly after installing new CNC prop from ACME #540, it changed the wake shape.
Check out some of my pictures
http://www.wakeskate.com/Members/Member_PhotoAlbum_View.asp?PhotoAlbumID=368

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com