size of Pipe for speakers Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » size of Pipe for speakers « Previous Next »
By Luis (nooner) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 6:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am thinking of building some tower speakers. What size aluminum pipe do I need to get to fit the speakers? Should I get multiple sizes? What speakers should I get. Something they sell at Best Buy preferred.. Thanks

By Jason Pribyl (skibum69) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you can stay away from best buy do it. GO to a local car stereo shop, it will be a bit more spendy but you will be much happier with a set of MB Quarts, Diamonds, Alpine or JL's. IT looks like you are going to make them yourself, so where you save money on that spend extra on your equipment. For a 6.5" speakers you need 8" diameter pipe. Just make sure you power your speakers with lots of clean power. I use Diamond audio marine amps. With 2 6.5" tower speakers running at 150 watts each, you can bearly hear it so I bumped it up to 4 6.5's at 300 watts each. If you want to hear bass you will need about 600(real) watts on 1 12" sub. When I say real watts be careful, good amps run about $1.25-$2.00 per watt!! And yes it does make a difference, if anybody tells you different don't go for it. I have been going to the (USAC)Car Audio World Finals for 3 years.

By Mike (mikeski) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Search the archives. Anybody that has been on the board for more than a few months have seen these topics again and again. I admire your initiative to build your own but you can save lots of frustration by searching and reading what others have learned after a few attempts.

By Rod Hess (rvh3) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://bierbower.net/diytower/home.htm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com