3 year old malibu response Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » 3 year old malibu response « Previous Next »
By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We have had our malibu response for 3 years. We have put around 600-700 hrs on it. Every trip we weight it with about 1000lbs plus the wedge. Lately the boat has been giving us a lot of trouble. The engine is leaking oil and we dont know what is wrong. It seems to starve for gas and take-offs take really long. Is this a normal problem for the wear we put on the boat??? Should we expect the engine be having trouble after 3 years of hard use?

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well when was the last time you did a tune up? I would check the fuel/ water seperator also is this carberated or is it fuel injected? On the oil leak you didint say were its leaking from so thats kinda hard one.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 7:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey leo i dont really know how to help but i noticed you live in louisiana and ride in bonfouca, ive also ridden there a few times, did you have your boat at melton marine when liquid force came there, anyway just wanted to say hey cause i live in mandeville but usually ride in the tchefuncta

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yea man, that was me michael. Come ride with us sometime.

I dont know where it is leaking, that is the problem, we cant see. My dad is thinking it is the transmission which would cost a hell of a lot to fix.

By Tommy (laptom) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 3:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alright, you don't see where it's leaking? Why would you think it's the tranny then? Or is that part loosing his oil?

I don't think a engine is worn-out after 700hours. I have seen double or triple amount of hours on engine's loaded badly.

By eric fox (fox) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
First off, if it's the tranny the fluid in the bilge will be reddish in color. Most newer boats I think, use ATF instead of oil. You should be checking your fluids regularly, and especially now that you suspect a leak. Check both tranny and engine to get some idea of which is losing fluid. If it's the tranny, it's most likely a seal, which may not be that much money. Has the boat had a lot of water in it recently? This will sometimes really screw with seals/gaskets?

Eric

By Jayson Peavy (jayson) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 8:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go on over to MBO there is tons of info on Malibu's. Someone will help you find the problem.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Im not really sure where its leaking. We cant see the leak, but it leaks slowly and there is regular oil in the bilge. The engine has also been running very poorly and loses strength on take-offs (it dies down when you accelerate). We are taking it to the shop tomorrow. But I really want to know if this is normal or if malibu boats are

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dude, we have tried to answer your questions but you provide no real information except that its leaking oil someware??? How is anyone supposed to answer that? Also I asked if its carberated or fuel injected also asked when the last time a tune up was doen etc etc? So basiclly if you have a carberated motor that has never had a tune up with 700 hours on it Id expect it to run like crap.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
fuel injected and we had a check up in march. None of the gauges work either, they were supposed to fix that at the check up but the new ones broke in a month. Im sorry I cant tell where the leak is. We look for it, but cant see it. All we know is that there is oil in the bilge after every run.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 6:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is a 2001 with the hammerhead engine (365hp) I believe.

By eric fox (fox) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 6:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
To answer you newer questions...no that is not normal to be leaking oil. Also, it doesn't only happen in Malibus either, so it's just a problem that needs fixing. Boats are a hole in the water into which you throw your money. Problems arise, you fix them and move on.

Eric

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 6:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well its in the shop, and still under warranty. So i will hope it will be fixed before this weekend.

By Nick Brown (512boarder) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 7:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
its not the malibu brand that is at fault for your engine leaking. there are other brands of boats that use that same line of engines......

By eric fox (fox) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 6:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So what did it end up being Leo?

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The seal on the transmission. I dont know the name, but they had to take the entire engine out to fix it... still under warranty!

By aaron wilson (absolutofft) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 4:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Replacing the fuel filters will probably fix the losing power while accelerating problem.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 4:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Leo, I don't know you, so you're probably gonna think I'm a preeeahhck for saying this, but: a neglected vehicle of any sort will deteriorate quickly. By neglected, I'm just saying you don't sound like you're really in tune with the thing, so how could you expect it to stay in good shape. Run the dog crap out of a BU, or a SAN or an MC or a Yota without keeping an eye on it and acting when you first see a problem, and you're gonna have big problems that get bigger every trip.

It's not the brand, dude, it's the operator. I'd be friggin losing sleep if there was oil in my bilge.

That amount of useage in 3 years is something to be really proud of (I only got 40 for the whole year so far), but you've got to pay closer attention to the boat if you want her to last. You've got the best excuse though for the neglect - you've been busy riding! Better than 'been busy working on the golf game" or the honey-do list, etc.

By Whit (whit) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 8:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should be changing your fluids every fifty hours of operation. If the last service was in March and you have 700 hours on the boat--sounds like you have been skipping a bunch of service intervals.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 6:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron, we checked the fuel filters and the mechanic says there is one in the rear which fills with water and rots which is what happened.

And Derek, I am not the person who knows much about engines and vehicles. I am only 17. My dad is the one who takes care of all this stuff. We check the oil almost every trip and my dad is a freak when it comes to taking care of the boat, so its not like we are neglecting maintaince. The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone had any ideas on the problem so maybe my dad and I could fix it. My dad doesn't pay attention to wakeboard forums like me. Also, I wanted to know how major the problem was in case we had to take it to the shop. I wanted to find out how long we wouldn't be able to go wakeboarding so I could make some weekend plans. So far it has taken 4 weeks in the shop because they took the engine out.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com