Buffing Out Minor Gelcoat Scratches Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Buffing Out Minor Gelcoat Scratches « Previous Next »
By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 8:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a buffer, but is it possible to do? Any idea on what to use to try and do this?

By Mike (mikeski) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 8:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes,

It is pretty easy to use a buffer to buff out minor gelcoat scratches. It's just different, you need to use a heavier compound so it will cut more material with less heat. Don't get the gelcoat too warm, do it in the shade. Start on a less noticed panel like the keel where you probably have beaching scratches.

Mike

By Ronia Savage (ladythump) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 5:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WestMarine has the compounds to do this. I think they are made by Meguiars.

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 6:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
great thank you. I will take care of it this weekend. I have to get the boat cleaned and ready, winter is coming, time for some riding.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 8:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Slipknot, I really like your way of thinking!!!

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Derek,

you're just up the road, lets ride sometime!

Nice 'yota

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks and sure. Definitely did not get enough riding in this summer (two Havasu trips and a couple short local days.) Better than Bagdad, though ;-)

By Dave Ross (waverider) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 4:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you REALLY want to know how to get your boat looking good, check out this web site http://home.earthlink.net/~sattex/ They have stuff you need and the know how. They are AWESOME!!!!

By David Baker (bakerds) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I see the stuff but not the how to???

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 9:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Derek- We should hook up in Havasu next summer. We head down every summer. That place is addictive!!!!

By Alan (tigeal) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The best products for me have been 3M, they have a rubbing compound and a finishing material called Marine Finesse-it II that work great as well as there marine wax. If the scratches are more than the compound will remove then get super fine wet/dry sandpaper 1000-1500 grit and lightly wet sand before rubbing out. You will be able to make scratches go away, believe me I have done lot's with above materials.

By MONK (jmo52) on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wet sanded my old I/o with 800 Then hit it with rubbing compound and wrapped it up with a wax. Proper! its a day job but its well worth it!

By David Baker (bakerds) on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 3:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have some wakeboard scratches on my black transom. Should I attempt to polish out or leave to the pros?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com