Fm Trans for Mp3 Players Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » Fm Trans for Mp3 Players « Previous Next »
By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
how do they work in the boat those who have them

I was going to get one.

Thanks

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a transmitter for my Ipod when I first got it. It is total junk!!! I think I used it twice before I threw it away.
Plug mp3 into an eq or get a deck with an aux. input. don't waste your money on a fm transmitter.

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 2:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
any idea on where to get the plug for the deck to mp3 player?

someone here was making one, anyone heard from him at all?

By NautiqueJeff (planetnautique) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's the procedure for making a cable to go from your iPod (or any other device) to the CD changer port on a Clarion XMD-1 (Stock Nautique stereo prior to '04). I see that you have a malibu, so this might not be what you're looking for. This was posted on PlanetNautique by user A&B.

First off, you will be interfacing to the CD Changer port. This is a goofy 13 PIN DIN, and these connectors are semi-difficult to track down. You can get one for 4.99 plus shipping from:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/dinconn.html

Then you need to get out your soldering iron, hehe, and follow the schematic... I will try to tell you how this works if you aren't familiar with schematics...

There are lots of ways to go about this, but I picked up a female headphone plug and matched up the tip pin (Right Positive) with Pin 8 on the 13 PIN plug, matched up the inner pin (Left Positive) with Pin 7 on the 13 PIN plug, and then matched up the innner-most pin (Ground) with Pin 6 on the big plug.

Then you need to wire up a simple switch (Single Pole Single Throw) to connect Pins 9 and 5 together. For the switch and the female headphone plug, just hit up your local radio shack and they should help you find what you need.

When you throw the switch on, it forces the head-unit into Accessory mode, and it should display ACCS.

You should now have auxiliary audio input through the new connector. YAY! I don't have to buy a new deck after all!!!

Enjoy!

By Brett Davis (bdavis) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 9:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thank you very much Jeff. If I ever get an ipod or the like, I'll be sure to use this info.

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom,
I use an FM transmitter for my car and it works great. I don't know why it wouldn't work in your boat. You might want to consider another FM transmitter. The one I got cost about $39 at Best Buy and could plug into the 12V adapter and could change to whatever open station I could find. Many only broadcast at one frequency and if you happen to be in a large urban area, that frequency may be taken and you will get interference.

For me, that seems a lot easier than breaking out the welding tools.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on September 26, 2004)

By cdm (cdm) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 3:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ive experienced limited success using my fm modulator. Belkin, I think? I think thats the one talligeguy is talking about and agree its much easier than breaking out the welding tools. but the time you spend trying to get rid of the engine humm, periodic static, battery/charger problems, whatever, etc.. your better off hard wiring something.. it will never be as clean are rca etc. hey thanks jeff

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 5:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks guys I think I will use the AUX inputs on my deck, Just need the plug to do it.

By Mike (mikeski) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
FM transmitters work great if you don't care too much about sound quality. I have not seen one that produces more range than about 100hz-5khz I like the content beyond that range so I upgraded my deck to one with aux inputs so no content was lost.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com