HOW DO YOU CLEAN A TEACK PLATFORM???? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » HOW DO YOU CLEAN A TEACK PLATFORM???? « Previous Next »
By Andy W (awiggy33) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey whats up guys and gals...I got a centurion avalanche last fall and I shredded all summer, but the boats in storage now andI have the platform. I heard theres a good process to sand and clean her. DOes anyone know of this process, or what works well? thanks -Andy

By Andy W (awiggy33) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
TEAK...sorry about the spelling

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 8:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just go to a marine store like West Marine or Boater's World and they'll have several brands of teak cleaning "systems" to choose from. They have cleaner, brightener, and oil. If your boat is only a year old, I'm sure you don't have to sand it.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 9:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Since I cleaned mine with West Marine traetments like Mr. Tacos described, my teak's beautiful and completely impossible to keep oiled - it's dried out like a mutha. Wonder why the owner's manual recommends against 'caustic cleaners'.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 1:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
don't sand it, whatever you do, the whole point of teak is that to refinish it you DON'T have to sand it

oil goes away pretty quick, as teak oil isn't meant to be submerged long term as most of the platforms on these boats are on a regular basis (weight) clean it real well with one of the three step cleaners, then oil it real well, make sure you let the oil soak in and dry before reapplying, or it will all wash away the first time you put it in the water

By Ronia Savage (ladythump) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok. Here's the best way to clean and refinish your teak. How bad is it? If it's really bad, take the platform off. Go to West Marine and buy TE-KA - it's a two part cleaner conditioner. Basically you pour on the conditioner and with a sponge, you clean your teak. It's real toxic stuff so make sure you wear rubber gloves. It's easy to clean. Then pour the neutralizer on. Once this dries, then you need to "repaint" the platform with Cetol.

If the platform is fairly new and it just has one season worth of dirtyness -- there should be other cleaners out there where you wont have to refinish the teak after you use it.

By Ryan (easyrider) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 7:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What the heck are you guys doing to yours to have to use abrasive cleaners...haha

By Andy W (awiggy33) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 4:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks dudes

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep the teak oil handy, like Tom said with the platform in the water all the time you need to oil it pretty often to keep it looking nice.

By JZwake (jzwake) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 9:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
TeKA is the best stuff I've used. Its a two part cleaning system. check it out.

By Louis Teague (loux2) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Tom,
I had to stern in my boat at Lost Isle and it nicked my teak swim platform all up. I figured I would just sand it down. Is teak a problem to sand?

By KStateAlumni (bbeach) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 7:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can sand teak, no problem it just makes it slick. Use 200-400 grit sandpaper.
I use Olympic Natural stain protectant on my platform and I only have to do it once a season, teak oil you have to use after every outing to keep the platform looking new. This stain stay nice all year and doesn't flake off or anything.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com