need new cable... advice anyone? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through January 14, 2005 » need new cable... advice anyone? « Previous Next »
By Kal Cotter (kalcotter) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 6:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just recently bought a 1990 malibu skier... my first boat.
http://www.flashingback.com/malibu
When I got it the steering was very tight, I could hardly turn it with one hand. It started hurting the steering gear (not sure what it's called) but when I steered, the wheel would skip a link or something. So anyway I pulled the cable and found the gear that's kind of grinded down. Now I'm wondering where I should get another, and what I should get. It's a 17 foot cable... also if anyone knows what that gear thing behind the steering wheel that pulls and pushes the cable is called that would be good too..

thanks

By trace (trace) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 7:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
www.skidim.com
no better tech support, and great prices.

By trace (trace) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nice boat & place, btw.

By Mark Anderson (puckinshat) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Its really easy to replace. Just take the old one out and order the right one. Should be about $100. You need a 17' cable. Tell the guys thats what you need and they will hook you up. The guys at your local boat supply or boat dealer will know exactly what you are talking about. It happens a lot to boats that aren't used often or all year round.

By Andy Hummel (sparks426) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When you take the old one out, make sure and tie a rope to the end of it before pulling it through. Makes it a lot more fun to pull the new one back through!

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mark is a dd easier than a V-drive? Kal, I was told it was going to be easy to install my cable in my X-10.

Not easy... The cable didn't fit under the tranny or the gas tank. I finally gave up and let my dealer do it. They had to crimp the old cable bolt so they could ram under the tranny (two guys pulling one pushing). Didn't fit under the gas tank so they had to loosen all the bolts for the tank and lift it up. What that means, you had to take a piece of the floor out to get to the tank. With my help, it took the dealer 5 hours (two guys other than me) swearing, reefing, battered knuckles ect. to get it out and replaced. They thread it through a slightly different way so if it ever needs to be done again it won't be so bad. Poor design on Mc's side for sure.

Wasn't easy...

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 1:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat:

If I was going to run the new cable a different route anyway, I probably would have just left the old cable in place!

Sounds to me like MC installed the rudder and steering before they dropped the engine in and didn't pay attention to the fact the the tranny trapped the cable. If the tranny was actually touching the cable (or even close to touching)then it could be the reason you had to change it. I would expect a little engine shifting/vibration and some flexing of the hull as you pounded across wakes/chop to work the cable between the hull and tranny and damage it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com