replacing bunks on trailer Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » replacing bunks on trailer « Previous Next »
By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an old 84 correct craft trailer and I need to replace the bunks on the rails. Is there a certain type of wood or just any 2x4 would work? And how hard is it to get it to take the curve of the trailer. And do you know what the angle is on the wood....45% or something...THANKS JEFF

By John Klein (jklein) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 4:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I replaced mine, I used pressure treated wood. My bunks are not really curved at all so I can't help you there.

By walt (walt) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 4:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can buy them pre made. But if you make them I would use pressure treated. The 2x4 will conform to your boats shape in no time.

By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 3:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks....About pre-made where would they have those?.....WESTMARINE maybe...

By walt (walt) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 5:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That would be a good place to try but I bought mine from a local marine mechanic.

By tre (tre) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am not sure if pressure treated wood is a good idea. There seems to be some debate about the safety of the chemicals used in pressure treated wood. I don't know if you want to put that into your lake.

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pressure treated is the way to go. Not to bash on you tre but what about all the 2 stroker's on the lake, and chemicals from your lawn. Pressure treated wood in the lake for 1 minutes isn't going to do anything to the lake.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use pressure treated for my dock, so why would I not use it for my trailer.

BTW, there is more than one type of pressure treated lumber. Some safer than others.

By Joe Hiestand (superairdawg) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, you can use regular 2x4 if you're that environmentally conscious, but it won't last very long. You'll probably end up replacing again in a couple years. The pressure treated is more water resistant. I'm assuming you have the "wishbone" bunk trailer with curved bunks. I don't think the cut angle is critical but it's close to 45 degrees. When I replaced the bunks on my '79 CC trailer I just eyeballed the cuts and blasted away with a circular saw.. No worries and you couldn't even tell once I recarpeted it. Getting the curve of the trailer wasn't difficult, either. Just work your way down with the through-bolts bending as you go. Cake...

By Craig Isom (cisom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually the wood in the bunks is generally cypress, it can take all the wet/dry conditions and last. Where can you find it? Good question, start calling REAL lumberyards--not Home Depot or Lowes.

By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 3:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys got to get on the trailer this weekend boat should be back from the shop soon.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com