motor box insulation Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » motor box insulation « Previous Next »
By John Klein (jklein) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A couple of years ago I bought some motor box insulation (foam rubber with sticky back and foil front) for sound dampening the engine box.

Can't remember where I got it. Anybody out there know where I can get some?

thanks

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 8:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can buy essentially the same stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Just make sure to get the foil tape to do the seams.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 6:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a real difference between the marine grade and the typical insulation. First, the marine grade insulation is fire retardant. Second, it is treated to kill mildew. Go to West Marine and look at their kits. It has the insulation, adhesive, and tape in a box.

I was a consultant to the factory in IL that makes the stuff.

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
overtons has a kit for $69 that includes the tape and spray adhesive.

I was thinking of doing this last season and wondered how much difference it would make on my direct drive? Anybody installed it and notice a difference?

Rick

By Joe Hiestand (superairdawg) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought one of the Overton's kits for my '79 Ski Nautique and it made a WORLD of difference to deaden engine noise. Actually, I think it might've taken two kits to completely line my dog box. The big thing to note though, is most newer boats already have some sort of insulation in the engine cover. My '79 was bare fiberglass. I'd imagine your Sanger already has something in there to keep the noise down, so not sure you'd get a ton of benefit.

By John Klein (jklein) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The stuff I put in two years ago was ordered through my Malibu dealer. While I've only got the front to back portion of my box lined now, it did make a difference. Finishing it off should help even more I would think.

Thanks for the tips.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com