fibergsass sub box Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » fibergsass sub box « Previous Next »
By Chad Magro (cmagro) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
does everyone use fiberglass when making sub box?

By tim c (tclagggym) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No, I didn't. just wood and carpet.

By John (hyperryd) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I usually use MDF and then resin coat it before carpet.

By Derek Bosia (dbo) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey john what kind of resin coat and could you go into some details about that. maybe even the process and some hints on what not to do. thanks a lot.

By Steve Autry (whitevlx) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Resin coating is simply taking some fiberglass resin, and brushing it on to the surface of the wood. It gives the wood a water proof barrier. There are several types of resin and all work well for this application so don't worry about buying the right or wrong thing.

If you do decide to do fiberglass layup:

Do remember that epoxy resin will not melt the binding glue used in chopped fiberglass mat, so it is very hard to wet out.

Isothalic resin is stronger and more resistant to chemicals and water.

Orthothalic resin is a great multipurpose resin.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
also, keep in mind it does not have very high stiffness if you are trying to make flat panels. therefore consider making any flat sides of your box out of wood.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i just made mine out of plywood since youll almost definitely not hear the difference due to the ambient noise , you can however make them out of glass, do a search on here for them and youll find some info. I was thinking about a wood/glass box for a 12, use 1/4" plywood or so and coat the inside and outside with glass, would make a pretty light box.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com