impeller trouble Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » impeller trouble « Previous Next »
By matt williams (diamondjax23) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 8:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 310 hp inmar with the impeller located at the front of the engine. How do I make sure that the pieces of the "fried" impeller are removed from the cooling system. I know I need to backwash, but how?

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 9:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
pull off the bottom hose that goes to the tranny cooler. It looks like a tube. As you are looking at the engine from the front, it is on the right. There is a strainer inside there that catches the crud. Just stick your finger inside and feel for pieces of rubber.

By matt williams (diamondjax23) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's it? I don't have to worry about the rubber getting further into the system?

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 9:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
andrew is your tranny cooler before or after your raw water pump, mine is before, towards the back of the engine (next to the tranny inline with the raw water intake hose)

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thats it. If rubber got past the screen, then it is going to be really hard to flush it out. Chances are that it will come out the exhaust if it was small enough to get thru. My tranny cooler is right after the raw water pump. The hose goes out of the pump, into the tranny cooler tube thing then out. Mine is for sure not at the rear of the engine, but pretty much in the front half on the right side. At least I think that part is the tranny cooler. If not, it is still the part that has the filter screen in it and it should be cleaned out if you shredded an impeller.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea i know, that's funny, on my MXplus TBI the tranny cooler is before the raw water pump, so if the impeller shreds it goes into the block and manifolds

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com