Titan or Skylon swoop tower on a new Bu? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Titan or Skylon swoop tower on a new Bu? « Previous Next »
By good day for boating (ccraftskierfan) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looking at buying a new Wakesetter and have a choice of the Titan or Skylon Swoop tower. I'd like opinions on which one is better and why. Dealer says the Skylon tends to make noise the way it is fastened to the the boat. Personally I like the looks of the Skylon better. Also are the racks for either tower any better?

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You're going to get a lot of opinions either way. We ordered ours with a Swoop mainly for aesthetics - we just think it looks better. I've never heard anyone say that their Titan makes noise or moves around, but then again most of the people that I see talking that way about the Swoops are Titan owners. There are so many good choices for racks for either tower that you'll be fine either way. One thing to note - we have a friend that has a Titan & the 1 bolt that holds the front & rear sections together actually fell out with a boarder behind the boat! Another thing about the Titan - if whoever does the install isn't paying attention to getting it exactly right, the windshield may end up hitting the tower arm & not be allowed to fully open. The Swoop folds down a little lower, so if garage clearance is an issue then that's something else to think about.

Anyway, hope that helps. You'll be happy with either one, so get what you like & screw what everyone else thinks.

By Troy (liveoz) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like the swoop, just think it looks better.

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 4:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you want an 04 with a Titan I'll swing you a deal.

By Andrew Moreton (andrew_moreton) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 4:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get the Illusion tower. Waterski America in Dallas is putting that tower on quite a few of their '04s and it looks unbelievable.

By JONb (jonb) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 4:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the nice thing with the titan is that you can get the thing for the board racks that spins so you dont have to reach around to the outside of the boat.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah the Illusion X looks good but it's A LOT more money, as are the racks, speakers, etc etc. Of course there are some on this forum to which money is no object....

By good day for boating (ccraftskierfan) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tracie
I tend to agree with you about getting what you like, the skylon is a better looking tower IMO. It is very helpful to hear from people with experience with both towers, so I appreciate the imput.
If it was that easy to pick out the exterior and interior colors, I'd being doing good. <ugh>

By Alan (tigeal) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Titan! Rock solid, looks good when loaded with speakers and/or lights, folds down in 30 sec., great support. I have needed a few things like new rubber for the racks and special bimini screws that were dropped overboard and each time they shipped new items to my door free of charge!

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"If it was that easy to pick out the exterior and interior colors, I'd being doing good. <ugh>"

Haha, I know that one! We just found a scheme on the same model that we ordered at the dealer & went with it.

By MIKE O (batman) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 7:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tracie, I had a Titan on my LSV and the tower was awesome, racks were great and tower looks good dressed out. Had a Swoop on my 02 VLX and the tower is very traditional looking with nice lines and sturdy, but not quite sturdy as Titan. On my 04 VLX I got the new Illusion X and like it the best by far. Sturdy, solid, nice racks, speakers and the upcharge wasn't really that much. Get what you want the first time or you will be saying I wanted, but didn't get, so and so! Congrats on BU choice!

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Get what you want the first time or you will be saying I wanted, but didn't get, so and so!"

Words of wisdom.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 9:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Titan

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know about the Swoop, but I can fold my Titan down in less than thirty seconds without any help from anyone. That is nice considering I have to lower it everytime I bring it home.

Daniel

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
swoop folds down just as fast as the titan. swoop looks better. my swoop doesn't make any noise.

By andy (jammeejamm) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have been on a vlx and a sportster with swoops. no noise, rattle, movement at all on them. no experience with a titan. but as far as looks go, the swoop is my choice.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ILLUSION X-trust me, I saw Mike O's new VLX with the Illusion X in person the other day and it is very nice...Very sleek, modern design..

By S Dub (sdub) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Titan is like having your firt beer, at first its not that appealing, but, the more you look at it, the better it is.

I have the Swoop, and I wish everyday I put on the Titan.

Pick function over fashion on this one.

By good day for boating (ccraftskierfan) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 2:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
S Dub

What don't you like about your Swoop?

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I have a FTC tower. And I only like people to post or comment on items that they have and know fully about so Im going to break my own rule here. Please forgive me.

My friend was going to buy a new Wakesetter that came with the swoop. He asked me to check it out. When we asked to see how the swoop folded down, Thats where I saw the swoops problem! and made me say no way. Now if you dont ever need to fold you tower down then dont worry about it the swoop is great. The tower they had had speakers on it just as he would if this was his boat so it was a great test. #1 the added weight of the speakers makes the swoop more difficult to fold down because of its desighn. Making a 1 person job a 2 person job. You have to have some one hold the weight of the tower up while some one un screws the tower at the front, and after you have one leg un screwed it causes the other leg to bind if you havent completley taken all the weight off the tower, #2 If you have speakers they now are resting inside the boat on your interior with the grill facing down. He was loking at a DD so the speakers would be resting on the motor box I dont know how it works in a V drive. #3 the screws that unlach the tower for un-folding detach completley from the tower making it easy to loose them. #4 when the tower is folded backwards into the boat it makes getting in and working on the boat while in the garage a joke. These things can be seen as little items but for some one like me who has to fold and un fold everytime it a deal breaker. But If you dont need to un fold to store thats a diffrent story

By Steve (kneebone) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 3:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just boarded behind a 04 LSV with the Titan yesterday at Whiskeytown. It was rock solid. With the Titan spinner racks it was really nice. It's polished aluminun and looks good too.

By woody (bwood) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 4:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The illusion x is an $80.00 upgrade.

By vandal (vandal) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh, please go for the Titan II or Illusion X. The Swoop almost gives me a headache just looking at it. The Titan II and Illusion X are MUCH more stylish and solid to ride behind. Like S Dub said, the Titan II takes a little getting used to but when you get it loaded up with racks, speakers, lights and boards it looks awesome. I had a Swoop on my 2002 ws VLX and cursed it everyday after I bought it.

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Titan I on a Nautique Super Sport and it is VERY solid, zero rattles. Look in my profile to see. I bought the boat with it already on. The only problem is that when you fold it down the front wishbone still sits to high to fit in my garage. It is because of the steep angle of my windshield. The Malibu probably won't have that problem.

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 8:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, I think the Titan's are Stainless Steel.

Vandal, You are right on, the Titan does look a little bare until you install speakers, racks, and maybe a bimini. But once it is loaded up, it is the best looking tower out IMHO.

By S Dub (sdub) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good day

For starters, the damn thing dont collapse low enough to fit a standard garage opening. If Skylon makes the thing collapse, I would think 'thing one' would have it be low enough to fit a 7'0'' opening. Have to take the upper tower off boat to get in garage. PITA

With boards and speaks on it, the tower really shakes alot when hitting any chop. It dont make noise, but it looks like its putting alot of stress on the boat deck. I have got some spider cracks already, and have about 200hrs on boat.

I dont like the racks. The lower board does not sit in the rack tight, so I need another strap to hold it. Sux hitting chop. And the rubber inserts are way to wimpy to protect board.

I also got the Skylon bimini. I have to actually take one side off the thumb screw on the tower mount to be able to open the bimini. Its stupid.

I can live w/ all that except the taking the tower off.

By good day for boating (ccraftskierfan) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Apparantly, I am told today that the Titan tower is now an upgrade and the ECI is the standard equipment tower. Seems odd because when I look at Wakeside's website the OEM Swoop is 2095.95 and the Titan Series II is 1995.95. I guess Skylon must be cutting Malibu a better deal.
Maybe the best bet is to order the tower myself. Are they tough to install?

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
One reason the Titan is so "cheap' is that it has been out for a while. My bet is that they will be releasing a new version pretty soon, and it will be more expensive.

By Maverick LTD (maverick_gear) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you like the Skylon look but want a better quality get a Boss Custom swoop that is the way to go,

By john (john) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 3:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI - Owner of ECI/Skylon is a long-time Malibu dealer.

By hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For WS LSVs titan adjusted the tower, so it no longer hits the tower :-)

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 3:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's all about where it is mounted, I have a '99 21ft with a series II and it doesn't hit the windshield.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com