2000 Mastercraft Sportstar Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » 2000 Mastercraft Sportstar « Previous Next »
By aaron (alindquist) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am considering picking up one of these things and I have a few questions for the board...
1) Is the wake comparable to the Prostar 190? I have ridden behind a Prostar 190 a bunch of times and with some weight the wake wasn't too bad, it's by no means an Air Nautique or X star but the price tag reflects that.
2) What is the big difference between the Sportstar and the Prostar? Is it only the creature comforts or are there a lot of mechanical differences as well?
3) Does anyone out there own one of these things and what are your opinions of it- how do you weight it? pro's cons etc.
4) Being where I live I'm almost forced to drive in the salt water. What are my best options as far caring for the boat? Can I get a closed cooling system for this thing (how much will I spend on that) will flushing the engine keep it in good shape for a long time?
Any help would be most appreciated

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 1999 Sportstar OB, so i think i can answer most of your questions. I don't know if your looking at an open or closed bow, so i can't answer all of your questions.

Q1) only question i can't answer, but probably similar/bigger than a ps 190 (if its the spstar open bow)

Q2)The Sportstar hull is the exact same as the 1998 and older PS 190 (for the closed bow sportstar) and PS 195 (for the open bow sportstar) the only difference are creature comforts, ie. no carpeted engine cover (just gelcoat, i like it better, less to tear). Crappier vinyl, carpet, no split hatch access to rear trunk. Mechanically the exact same. Upgraded engine from some older Prostars (has EFI)

3)I have the Sportstar O/B, we still experiment with different weighting, but from speaking to other people the best is 400 in bow, 600 either side of engine, and people or 2-400 in the trunk. Makes a killer wake. Only problem is due to how narrow the boat is, if somebody cuts hard outside the wake with a tower the boat will lean over a little, not a problem for a rider but a slight nuisance for the driver.

Q4) I ride in brackish water (salt), install a flush adaptor and flush the boat with fresh water after every use. Coat the engine in CRC 656 (water displacing lubricant) every couple of rides and you'll be fine. I don't have a closed cooling system and they are expensive to install.

By Curt (slalomskifreak) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check the archive's around Oct. 19-23, 2003. Also, there are some articles on this boat if you search on Yahoo, etc.. Mastercraft's website has an owners section that usually provides alot of good information. Good luck.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com