Gas fan broken, problem? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Gas fan broken, problem? « Previous Next »
By ponchevez (ponchevez) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat has fans that take the air from the gas tank, they stoped working. If I don't take the air from the gas tanks can this result in an accident?

By Glen (mx21) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I assume you are talking about the blower fan which ventilates potentially explosive vapors from engine compartment (not from gas tank). These are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Definitely replace. Burns hurt!!!!!

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 9:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Burns hurt, and I'm not sure if your insurance company would like you operating the boat without. Mine was out for awhile, and i just would open the engine compartment while waiting at the ramps.

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just curious has anyone actually ever seen an engine compartment blow?

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
my guess is that if they did they wouldn't be around to tell about it

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Years ago someone posted there direct drive that did. i think it was in FL

By ponchevez (ponchevez) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, im talking about the blower fan than ventilate vapors from the engine. so, just by opening the engine compartment will work? cause I leave in Mexico and if I take my boat for repair I will probably get something stolen from the engine ... lol but as BRYCE mentioned, has anyone heard of and engine blowing? Do you guys always turn the fan ON before engintion?

By Glen (mx21) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blower fan - always turn it on before cranking or even idling around. just order one and replace yourself. 2 mounting screws/2 hose clamps or zip ties and 2 wires - easy stuff. When mine went out opened the hatch before starting but replaced it as soon as possible.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
With fuel injected engines it's very uncommon to have problems unless there is a leak in the fuel system. I'm not suggesting that you don't use your blower if you have a fuel injected engine though. It's just much more common to have a problem with a carbureted engine and also after refueling.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 1:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bryce said:
"Just curious has anyone actually ever seen an engine compartment blow?"

I didn't actually see it blow, but heard the boom and was involved in the aftermath.

Small runabout, ~18 feet, I/O, two kids, mom and dad aboard. The boat had just fueled up at the gas dock, then untied (mistake) loaded everyone in then started the engine.

Apparently one child was actually sitting on the engine cover when it blew and the force knocked her into the water. Dad grabbed child number two and tossed her into the water and mom and dad jumped in after them. People wise, everyone was okay.

The boat, now engulfed in flames, drifts across the marina to a dock full of 50 foot boats (this was on Lake Powell). There were several 50 foot boats that burned to the water line, a dozen more than had major fiberglass damage and were probably totalled, and lots of boats with burns in their canvas.

When the dock started to burn people on the dock were just untying boats and pushing them out. My dad was in our ski boat and was grabbing lines from the cast off boats and towing them around to the houseboat rental dock.

My dad's girlfriend shot a whole roll of 8 mm movie film which was used as evidence in the court case that followed.

So, bottom line: yes, boats do go boom! Pay the extra price of the marine grade electrical and fuel systems. Run the blower.

Rod

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com