Dripless Marine Packing Material ques... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Dripless Marine Packing Material question « Previous Next »
By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok so i don't want to pull my driveshaft apart to install a PSS Dripless Shaft seal, but I found this on the internet and I'm wondering if anybody had any experience with it. Looks like a decent product. Has anybody used it?

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

oh and does anybody know what size packing would be in a 99 Mastercraft?

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 8:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You might be able to just tighten the packing in there now, if it is only leaking some. Installing a dripless is not that hard on a direct drive either. Probably take you about another hour over just installing the packing material.

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 9:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i did not click on the link, but i have heard from other posters that the synthetic packing is the bomb. go fot it.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea that is what this is, synthetic packing, apparently its virtually dripless

doesn't installing a pss shaft seal involve removing the shaft with a shaft puller?

By Tom (tcaton) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have a double tapered shaft, no you do not need a puller, just unbolt the flange and break the nut loose but do not remove it put a socket between the nut and the flange on the tranny put your flange bolts back in, as you tighten them the flange will pop off the shaft then just remove the shaft nut slide the shaft down and take out the old shaft seal and install the PSS seal. Should not take more than a hour to do the whole job.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hmmm, that doesn't sound so tough, i assumie i have a double tapered shaft on a 99 MC right?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com